Author Topic: Illegit surname in Quebec.  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Illegit surname in Quebec.
« on: Thursday 22 December 16 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I came across this surname recently in social media and after doing a bit of research I found it going back to the late 1700's in Quebec. Was it originally the name of a child with no fathers surname or a foundling? Or does it go back to much older French records and mean something different to illegitimate?

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegit surname in Quebec.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 16 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure it really is a surname, rather than a description?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 16 10:38 GMT (UK) »
In Quebec baptisms the terms Inconnu, enfant naturel and illégitime are often used.

http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette/gazxs/gazxs16.htm

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »
As I said before, I noticed the surname on social media in British Columbia, it is their real name not a username.

Here is a snip of a Quebec baptism register, the word "illegit" seems more of a comment than a surname but it has been transcribed as "Francois Illegit". there are several other instances of the same sort.

It just struck me as an unusual surname in this day and age and I wondered at it's origin. Could it have evolved out of circumstances rather than parentage? My French isn't up to deciphering the rest of the entry.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
and the translation shows the word "inconnu"

An illegitimate child was usually recorded as such in the parish registers. ... In Quebec, many children were recorded under the surname "Inconnu" (unknown).

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 16 18:02 GMT (UK) »
In that clip, illegit clearly means illegitimate, rather being a surname.  "Parent inconnu" in the text means unknown father.

Do you have another example?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 December 16 18:10 GMT (UK) »
The Quebec, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968 collection shows many similar examples.

Sandra

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 December 16 08:43 GMT (UK) »
The Quebec, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968 collection shows many similar examples.

Sandra

Yes Sandra that is where I got the snip from.

It is looking more likely that Illegit was used as a surname that arose from the child having no known father but very odd to proclaim to the world at that time that you were "illegit."

Gen in NBL England

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 December 16 10:32 GMT (UK) »
The church seemed very strict about recording legitimate or illegitimate births.
Don't suppose the Priest or Clergy would ever imagine that the Church Records would eventually be transcribed for everyone to see.

Sandra