Author Topic: THOMAS family at Llanfihangel-ar-Arth - Ty-wrth-yr-eglwys  (Read 635 times)

Offline jfxdavies

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THOMAS family at Llanfihangel-ar-Arth - Ty-wrth-yr-eglwys
« on: Thursday 22 December 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Richard Thomas married Mary Davies on 17th June 1862 in Llanfihangel-ar-Arth.
The Parish record shows his residence as Ty-Wrth-Yr-Eglwys (TWYE), his father as David Thomas and age at 30 years.

In 1861 census, the head of TWYE was Thomas Thomas with his wife Rachel. Richard is not a resident.

I am trying to trace Richard Thomas and have found the following:

1841 Census: TWYE
Head - David Thomas Farmer (62)
Wife - Margaret Thomas (64)
John Thomas (32)
Margaret Thomas (20)
Elinor Jones (34)
David Jones (4)
Evan Williams (11)
Richard Daniel (9)

1851 Census: TWYE (Called Ty David Thomas)
Margaret Thomas (76)
Margaret Thomas (30)
Sarah Jenkins (17)
Richard Thomas (19)
Evan Thomas (21)

Two Margarets match so it's fair to presume that TWYE and Ty David Thomas are the same place. Adjacent properties in the census also match.

I am working on the following theory.
Richard Daniel in the 1841 census and Richard Thomas in 1851 census are the same person.
Evan Williams in the 1841 census and Evan Thomas in 1851 census are the same person.
The 1861 census shows Richard Thomas (28) living in Margam St Mary near Port Talbot.
He is a lodger living with Evan Thomas (18). Evan Thomas appears below Richard and I believe the age is incorrect.

So if this is correct...

Margaret Thomas was 55 years old in 1832 - surely too old to have given birth to Richard.
Why did Richard and Evan change surname. Are they adopted or David's illegitimate sons?

I am stumped as to how I can take this any further and would be grateful for any help.