Author Topic: Jane Edwards 1806 - 1838 - Siblings & parents?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline wbutcheruk2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Butcher from Kent
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Edwards 1806 - 1838 - Siblings & parents?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 August 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
A little bump for any further help or ideas to research.

I have been researching my family for over 10 years now and still have always been stuck on a certain person.

She Was 'Jane Edwards', she married a John Butcher on 10th Jan 1829 and they were both of the parish. I think the witnesses were Mary Butcher. I have only been able to see the banns which doesn't state Jane's father and there seems to be no other Edwards family around for the time. She had three children all baptised in Hinxhill with John stated as a Wye Labourer. They moved to the Ridgeway at Smeeth and she died in 1838 and was buried in Sellindge. Her aged was stated as 32 years which would mean she was born around 1806. Searching Wye and neighbouring parishes I cannot really see any Edwards around at this time. In 1784 there was a baptism in Godmersham for a different named Edwards child and the parents were stated as Travellers, so maybe she comes from a travellers family.
Kent mainly. Butcher, Dodd, Martin, Highwood, Hopkins, Shoat, Goldup, Thornby, Hammon, Edwards, Taylor, Back, Gower, Stevens, Read, Ottaway,

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 August 17 10:02 BST (UK) »
You have said that you searched the parish records, did you mean records(as opposed to registers), if so I assume there were no settlement certificates that helped.  You could try school records, I looked at some records for a school near there (It was either Smeeth or Brook) some years ago, need to go back as I looked at the wrong dates, I think it was at Maidstone and in the log book there were comments such as John Smith absent as sister is ill.  You might get some clues.
I wonder if Jane was baptised in her mother's maiden name or if Edwards was the name of a step-father (two of my son-in-laws have names that come from step-father's a few generations back.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:26 BST (UK) »
Only Jane I can find;
Have you ruled this one out?

JANE Edwards Baptised 5 Oct 1806, St Margaret of Antioch, Rochester
Birth 24 July 1806
Parents JOHN/ELIZABETH
(FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline wbutcheruk2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Butcher from Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 August 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
I have only search baptisms, marriages and burials not settlements, so maybe i'll have to get maidstone to look. I haven't ruled the Rochester one out, i'm just so unsure that i can use it as cannot find much else to back it up. I might just be stuck and as far back as i can prove with actual facts.
Kent mainly. Butcher, Dodd, Martin, Highwood, Hopkins, Shoat, Goldup, Thornby, Hammon, Edwards, Taylor, Back, Gower, Stevens, Read, Ottaway,

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 August 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree it is hard to prove but that Jane does not seem to marry in Rochester.
But not all records are on line so still just a possible.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 August 17 20:24 BST (UK) »
check before you go to Maidstone in case what you want is at Canterbury