Author Topic: James Stewart, origins unknown, of Quebec  (Read 519 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Stewart, origins unknown, of Quebec
« on: Thursday 22 December 16 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have been stumped on this ancestor for a long time.

He immigrated to Quebec around 1828 (daughter born there in 1829). He died by 1845 in Quebec. He married in Scotland, but have reason to doubt he was a native of that place.

Here's what I know:

Alternately listed as born in England or Ireland on children’s records after his death

Married in Morebattle, Roxburgshire 1824 to Elizabeth Young (daur of Mungo and Margaret), occupation is servant to Sir Charles Ker of Gateshaw
   -Irregularly married, session agreed to confirm marriage in March 1824
   -First child baptised Nov 1824 in Yetholm, Roxburghshire

Immigrated to Georgetown, QC circa 1828 with brother-in-law Ralph Oliphant Young

Children: Margaret, Jane, Henrietta, Elizabeth, Agnes, Mungo, and James

Farmer at lot 32 4th concession, Georgetown, in children’s baptismal records and in burial record.

Died in Georgetown, QC in 1845 aged “fifty two” per parish register, at his farm.

I am trying to figure out where he was born and how he came to Morebattle to marry his wife. Also, not sure how he went from being a servant to a knight to a farmer - unless he was an estate laborer?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Stewart, origins unknown, of Quebec
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 December 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Servant can simply mean farm servant given he went to Canada to farm it makes sense he would have had the skills.

Stewart could just about from anywhere.  There are plenty of Stewart's in Roxburghshire, Dumfries, Selkirk and Berwick.  Given he was born ca 1792 he may not be baptised or his baptism is lost or might even be illegitimate.  If I look at his children's names it seems they quasi followed the Scot's naming pattern so his mother may be Jane/Janet/Jean.  There are a number during the time of his birth within Roxburghshire who might be his family.

He was a member of the N Georgetown Presbyterian Church he was buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery and moved to an area with a large Scottish population so in my little mind he is probably a Scot.  He might have also followed kin to N Georgetown as there were several Stewart families there. There are Concession maps dating from 1821 which show the farms; who had acquired these and so forth. The 1842 Census lists a lot of Stewarts within the Beauharnois District and some might be worth a closer look as they could James' siblings. 

Just food for thought.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.