Author Topic: Draper look up [Billingshurst]  (Read 1424 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Draper look up [Billingshurst]
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 January 17 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
We can see those Sussex microfilms via the LDS catalogue on Family Search
So we look to see what Sussex probate records they have (in the same way as if we were planning to view or order them at a FHC)
England, Sussex - Probate records (39)
then select -
Wills, 1534-1700 Diocese of Chichester Consistory Court
we needed -
Original wills (STC I/II) 1684-1690 British Film 1068641
to the right is a camera icon, which means that we can view the microfilm online
Having got the microfilm up, we then have to find what we want ourselves!
All this is fine for microfilmed images of original records, but it seems that they wont let us see modern day transcriptions of anything (you have to be a member or at a FHC)

They have some inventories on there, if there was one for Caleb then I don't think it's available online (no camera icon)

There's a Chichester Consistory Court index on findmypast, which said that Caleb's will had the reference
STC I/27/355b. Which was a bit of a help in finding it in the sense that I landed on a will in 1682 which the index said had a ref of 335b, and Caleb's will was indeed twenty or so images further on.
The Keep website is good for getting the necessary details for East Sussex wills.

I guess if they have a particular microfilm at the London Family History Centre, then they should be able to make a copy of what you need.
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 January 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
So we look to see what Sussex probate records they have (in the same way as if we were planning to view or order them at a FHC)
then select -
we needed -
to the right is a camera icon, which means that we can view the microfilm online
All this is fine for microfilmed images of original records, but it seems that they wont let us see modern day transcriptions of anything (you have to be a member or at a FHC)

They have some inventories on there, if there was one for Caleb then I don't think it's available online (no camera icon)

There's a Chichester Consistory Court index on findmypast, which said that Caleb's will had the reference
STC I/27/355b. Which was a bit of a help in finding it in the sense that I landed on a will in 1682 which the index said had a ref of 335b, and Caleb's will was indeed twenty or so images further on.
The Keep website is good for getting the necessary details for East Sussex wills.

I guess if they have a particular microfilm at the London Family History Centre, then they should be able to make a copy of what you need.
John

Hi John

Thanks that's very helpful. I've got quite a few wills to look for in this court so this will be helpful in finding them.

Do you know if it's possible to view wills for Kent or Surrey through Familysearch?

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 January 17 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
then select -
we needed -

John

Hi there

How did you find Caleb's will on that film? Is there an index or way to search for names? I have been looking at some of the images and found them quiet tricky to read which is annoying. I also found that there doesn't appear to be any order to the wills. I hope you can advise the best way to approach this.

Matt

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 January 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
I don't think we can see Kent wills online. If there are any on FamilySearch they would probably not be viewable at home (as with their other Kent records)
Some Surrey wills have been transcribed, many names indexed
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engsurry/

I think it may be on findmypast as well. Certainly is very useful.

Finding those wills on the microfilms is really just trial and error. They may be in order of probate date, they may not. Sometimes the archive references might be on the images, maybe even written on the wills somewhere.
It can certainly be hard work to find an original will, should be easier with the copy wills if the registers are available on there. And of course the original will may not have survived, only the copy.
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
I don't think we can see Kent wills online. If there are any on FamilySearch they would probably not be viewable at home (as with their other Kent records)
Some Surrey wills have been transcribed, many names indexed
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engsurry/

I think it may be on findmypast as well. Certainly is very useful.

Finding those wills on the microfilms is really just trial and error. They may be in order of probate date, they may not. Sometimes the archive references might be on the images, maybe even written on the wills somewhere.
It can certainly be hard work to find an original will, should be easier with the copy wills if the registers are available on there. And of course the original will may not have survived, only the copy.
John

Thanks for that info. I have several wills to look for so I'll see how I go. I'm also planning a visit to the Familyhistory centre next week so hopefully I'll be able to find more there.

Matt