Author Topic: Bastardy/Maintenance Orders 1880's  (Read 1916 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy/Maintenance Orders 1880's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
Sally

Just another thought, have you found his baptism, I searched for years after I recieved my G Grandfathers birth certificate and the father was not recorded, went down the same root you are now going down, but someone suggested looking at the baptism, and sure enough he was named on the record.
Best wishes
John

Sorry I missed your post John
I couldn't find baptisms for any of the family

Offline jowake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 March 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally

In my case my G Granddads, James William Swan Wake, birth cert had no father named when I eventually found his baptism record he was baptised James William Swan and his father was James William Swan. I  am not sure but I think someone told me that sometimes, for religious reasons perhaps, the fathers name was submitted at the baptism. My G Grandmother Dorothy Wake was in service with the Swan family and James William was the son, so he possibly thought he was going to marry her, and then he or his family stopped it. I know that apparently the mother would often use the fathers full name as part of the childs name, which is exactly what she did in my case, does your relative have a middle name could be linked to the father. Would you share the name you are looking for, or do you prefer to do all your own research.

Best wishes

John
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 March 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks again jowake.
The mothers husband, a coal miner at Tudhoe, died two years before the child was born and was buried at Holy Innocents. So perhaps the same church was used for a baptism two years later.
I have started another topic in Durham Lookup Requests here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=768564.msg6208845#msg6208845

I have had an email from the Durham archives, who were very helpful. Any maintenance records would have come under The Durham Petty Sessions but unfortunately the archives do not hold these maintenance records prior to 1912.