Author Topic: Mary McDonald  (Read 2295 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Mary McDonald
« on: Saturday 24 December 16 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I would like any information on Mary Ann McDonald, born Banff, Aberdeenshire.

I believe she went to Canada, no idea when she went. Joseph ROGERS, who she married in Canada, arrived in Canada 1909.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McDonald
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 December 16 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Nothing useful to go on there. The words 'haystack' and 'needle' spring to mind.

In historical and search terms, and with particular reference to family history, Banff is not in Aberdeenshire - it is in the modern version of Aberdeenshire, which swallowed up about a third of Banffshire in about 1995, but until the earlier reorganisation of 1975 the burgh of Banff was the county town of Banffshire. The burgh of Banff is in the parish of Banff which is in the (historical county of) Banff aka Banffshire. So Banff and Aberdeenshire are mutually exclusive before 1975.

Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk lists 21 Mary Ann(e) M(a)cdonalds born in Banffshire, plus 26 plain Marys and four Marions, any of whom could crop up as Mary Ann later on. So your chances of finding your Mary Ann without some more information about her are small.

A similar search in Aberdeenshire produces 443 Mary M(a)cdonalds, same with Ann(e) as a second name.

I strongly suggest that you go back to the Canadian records (whichever part of Canada it is) and get hold of a copy of her marriage certificate. Most Canadian marriage certificates that I have seen tell you the ages and the names of the parents of the couple. Then try Scotland's People for her birth certificate and her parents' marriage certificate.

Knowing when Joseph emigrated isn't especially useful on its own. Was he a babe in arms in 1909, or a mature widower? And was Mary Ann roughly the same age, or 20 years older than him, or 40 years younger?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 December 16 11:28 GMT (UK) »
If you register with Ancestry Canada the 1921 Census is free to search -
http://search.ancestry.ca/

Although Joseph and Mary may have married after that Census  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 December 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »

Forfarian

Yes, I appreciate there isn't much information to go on and thank you for the interesting information you have given me.

Cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 December 16 11:38 GMT (UK) »
If you register with Ancestry Canada the 1921 Census is free to search -
http://search.ancestry.ca/

Although Joseph and Mary may have married after that Census  :-\

ev

Many thanks for the Ancestry address. I shall go to my library after the Christmas break and do a 1921 census search  :) Yes, it is possible Joseph & Mary married after that census  :-\

cupcake

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 16 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have a marriage for a Joseph Rogers and Mary Ann MacDonald on 28/10/1912 in Vancouver( British Columbia Marriage Index). Ancestry link this to a 1921 census entry in Salmon Arm, Comox, Alberni, British Columbia and there is also a tree on Ancestry which contains the same information and gives Banffshire as a place of birth for Mary Ann.However according to the census both Joseph and Mary Ann were born in England with Joseph arriving in Canada in 1906 and Mary Ann in 1914 ( so after the date of the marriage). The eldest child on the census is another Joseph who is aged 7 ( ie born 1913/14).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 December 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajoseph~%20%2Bsurname%3Arodgers~%20%2Bspouse_givenname%3Amary~%20%2Bspouse_surname%3Amcdonald~&collection_id=1307718

Details of marriage from Familysearch.

ev

Thank you so much for that. I have Joseph was from Cheddleton, Stoke on Trent, England. Didn't have their marriage or their parents name.

Perhaps Ancestry will have information when she left for Canada.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 December 16 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have a marriage for a Joseph Rogers and Mary Ann MacDonald on 28/10/1912 in Vancouver( British Columbia Marriage Index). Ancestry link this to a 1921 census entry in Salmon Arm, Comox, Alberni, British Columbia and there is also a tree on Ancestry which contains the same information and gives Banffshire as a place of birth for Mary Ann.However according to the census both Joseph and Mary Ann were born in England with Joseph arriving in Canada in 1906 and Mary Ann in 1914 ( so after the date of the marriage). The eldest child on the census is another Joseph who is aged 7 ( ie born 1913/14).
Isobel

That's interesting and a tad confusing. The info I have  Mary Ann born was in Banffshire and not England.  :-\

ADD  There is also the difference in dates as to when Joseph arrived in Canada.

cupcake