Author Topic: Deaths of William and Marie McCulloch - Toronto, 1957-62  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deaths of William and Marie McCulloch - Toronto, 1957-62
« on: Saturday 24 December 16 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I’m wondering if you can help me track down the deaths of a couple who, according to the Canada Voters List for 1957-58, were living in High Park, Toronto around that time.

William Lorraine McCULLOCH was born in England in 1887 and emigrated to Ontario in 1906. He shows up in the 1957 Voters List as living with his wife, Marie McCulloch, in Pacific Avenue (West Side), Toronto.

Phyllis Marie McCULLOCH (nee Kimber) seems to have been known mainly by her middle name. She was born in England in 1890 and emigrated to Toronto in 1914. In the 1958 Voters List, she is still living in Pacific Avenue but is described as a widow.

By the 1962 Voters List there is no sign of either of them anywhere in Ontario as far as I can see. I am currently working on the basis that William died (aged about 70) in 1957-58 and Marie died (aged about 68-72) in around 1958-62. Being much more familiar with searching English and Scottish records, I’m struggling to see an obituary for either William or Marie and I’m not sure where to start looking for any cemetery records for them.

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths of William and Marie McCulloch - Toronto, 1957-62
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 December 16 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Found an obituary for Phyllis Marie McCulloch in the Globe and Mail newspaper.  Says she died at her home 14 Brynston Rd on Nov 29 1959.  Wife of the late William L McCulloch, mother of Mrs Leslie Nevin (Phyllis), Mrs John Milne (Janet), Mrs William Cheyne (Isabelle), and William McCulloch.  Cremation Toronto Crematorium.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 December 16 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Not seeing William's obit, but found a marriage announcement from Sept 1957 for William Lorraine McCulloch, son of Mr and Mrs William Lorraine McCulloch (doesn't say that Mr senior is "late"), to Susanne Elizabeth Thorpe.

Looks like Wm Senior was alive at the end of 1957, but died before the end of 1959.  This is the time frame you had in mind. 

Not sure what the "Toronto Crematorium" is.  Perhaps the Necropolis???

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 December 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 16 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Isabelle McCulloch Cheyne died Oct 5 1985.  Wife of Bill.  Mother of J and K.  Sister of Phyllis, Janet and Bill.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 December 16 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Janet McCulloch Milne Anderson died on Aug 15 1993.  Wife of Jack Anderson.  Mother of S, S and J Fallows.  Grandmother to 6 children (named in the obit).  Great Grandmother to K.  Sister of Phyllis Nevin and William McCulloch

RK

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 December 16 17:11 GMT (UK) »
This is excellent. Thank you, RunKitty! You have really come up trumps with information we have been seeking for quite a while.

The obituary of Phyllis Marie McCulloch is definitely for 'our' Phyllis Marie. I'm now wondering how to get hold of a copy - do they have these online?

The marriage announcement you've found is for their son, William Lorraine McCulloch. I'd managed to find his obituary but hadn't seen the marriage info.

Isabelle McCulloch Cheyne is most likely to be the sister of William Lorraine McCulloch Jnr, Janet Milne and Phyllis Agnes Marie Nevin. And she is the one last piece in that particular part of the jigsaw. We couldn't find her at all.

Many thanks, RunKitty! I know some people who will be really excited by these finds.

Have a happy Christmas!

Ian  ;D

Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 December 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »