Author Topic: Cull Family Worth matravers/ corfe/langton matravers  (Read 1492 times)

Offline taylorwallace

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cull Family Worth matravers/ corfe/langton matravers
« on: Saturday 24 December 16 12:30 GMT (UK) »
George Cull of Worth Matravers married Ruth Smith 1794 in Langton Matravers. I havent been able to find a baptism for George. The Corfe Census of 1790 shows a George aged 21 who could be the right George born c 1769 living with presumably parents Thomas and Alice Cull who  but cant find their marriage either.
Any ideas?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Cull Family Worth matravers/ corfe/langton matravers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 December 16 14:29 GMT (UK) »
This might be a long shot......

Thomas Cull (residence Corfe Castle) and Alice Farren (?),  (St. George, Hanover Square) married 18th February 1768, by licence, St. George, Hanover Square.
Witnesses:  George Hargraves and Elizabeth Stocks.
Bride and groom both signed.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taylorwallace

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 December 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks: he was quite a wealthy farmer with servants so quite possible he travelled up to London and the Corfe reference is too much of a coincidence. I will follow up the marriage license and see if George was born in London too as suspect Alice may have been pregnant when they got married, another reason to be out of their own area.
Taylor wallace

Offline kelzies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I've found a family tree on Ancestry that puts George Cull as having the alias Timothy Smith (at least, being born with that name in 1768 to Sarah Smith). Apparently some people have put a bit of effort into untangling this.

In fact, Sarah has a brother called Timothy Smith and in his will in 1804 (that I read on Ancestry) it has:

"...I give and bequeath to George Cull otherwise Smith son of my sister Sarah Smith..."

The only son Sarah had was Timothy. Maybe he didn't like the name, or his alleged father was a Cull! ???

Offline taylorwallace

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 17 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks: will follow up with the ancestry idea. There is certainly a Cull/ smith link in the next generation but the George I am seeking was the son of Thomas and Alice so will have to delve further.
Taylor Wallace