Author Topic: Merchant Navy in WW2  (Read 1547 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy in WW2
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Save your money. I will be at the archives on Sat next and will try and get a copy for you.
Will also try and copy his CRS10 but no promise's on this one.

This is 'above and beyond', seaweed!! Thank you so much! My previous (and only) visit to Kew was a nightmare and I seemed to pick the day when the staff were far too busy to help a 'newbie' so I'm much obliged at your kind offer!

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 January 17 14:12 GMT (UK) »
A good result, both his CRS10 and his "Seaman's Pouch were more or  less intact. The only downside is that there was no photograph of him in the pouch.
There is confirmation in the CRS10 that he was on board DUNEDIN STAR when she was lost.
After repatriation, he spent more or less the rest of his seagoing career with Blue Star line.
If you would like copies of the documents, send me your postal address by PM, they are too large to send via e mail.

regards SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 February 17 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Wow - thank you so much! Will PM you later!

I've been reading "Dead Reckoning" by Jeff Dawson (an account of the Dunedin Star incident) and just reached the part where some of the crew had made it to the shore - including a young engineer named Beattie!  ;)

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England