Author Topic: Kavanagh/Reilly of Enniscorthy  (Read 2625 times)

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kavanagh/Reilly of Enniscorthy
« on: Monday 26 December 16 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,

I am wondering if anyone can help me please. I have a James KAVANAGH marrying an Ally O'REILLY in Enniscorthy  on 12th October 1810. A witness at the wedding is also called James KAVANAGH. That is all the information there is on the register.

How would I find out where these two came from? Is it even possible given the early date of the marriage?

They are buried in Templeshannon graveyard. Given their ages, James was born in 1790 and Ally in 1774.

Thank you in advance.

Nora

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kavanagh/Reilly of Enniscorthy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 December 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634056#page/243/mode/1up

The earliest birth record is 1794.
Maggsie

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 December 16 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggsie,

Thank you for your reply to my enquiry. I already have the marriage of James and Ally. What I was wondering is how can I get back any further? Or is that not possible?

Thanks,

Nora

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I searched the Tithe records (these are free) and there are 24 James Kavanagh in Wexford. These are in different town lands,  Enniscorthy would have town land names like we have streets.
In the registersonline it just states Enniscorthy, no address.
I was member of rootsireland.ie this would be a place I would look. Join for a month as pay to view is expensive. they have most BDM. Don't get any other records on Pay to view as these are in other sites free.
For John born 1816 one of his sponsors was Edward Sinnott, in the Tithe records he was listed as Castle Ellis east of Enniscorthy town.
As you don't have town land names it's a case of digging, sorry.
Maggsie

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 12:15 GMT (UK) »
If you use the links on the bottom of the main page of the Enniscorty Parish you can see what records survive and where they are
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0593&parish=Enniscorthy
RootsIreland(Wexford Heritage) MIGHT have transcribed from the original Registar which the modern transcript you can see on NLI site was taken from, which MAY have more information, but it's quite possible the original doesn't survive. In either case the start year is the same.

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggsie and Sinann,

Thank you both for your help and advice. I really appreciate the trouble you have gone to. If I manage to resolve this I will let you know.

Kindest regards,

Nora.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 December 16 04:12 GMT (UK) »

How would I find out where these two came from? Is it even possible given the early date of the marriage?....
They are buried in Templeshannon graveyard. Given their ages, James was born in 1790 and Ally in 1774.

Well, presumably the bride was from the parish of Enniscorthy. But that is about it as regard the marriage record.  That they are buried in Templeshannon (area commonly known as 'The Shannon'), also says that they were locals from either the town itself, or close by.
However, the years of birth you have do not look plausible to me - a bride 16 years older than the groom, back in 1810? If she was that old, how likely was she to have children?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 December 16 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wexflyer,

I can only go by their age on their tombstone. They had two children, Eleanor B: 24/4/1812 and John B: 05/06/1816. I have their genealogy down to the present time, but trying to find out anything about  James and Ally is proving impossible. Maybe there are sources I have not found yet that could hold a clue?

Regards,

Nora

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 December 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wexflyer,

I can only go by their age on their tombstone.
Regards,

Nora

Have you personally verified the memorial inscriptions, or are you relying on transcriptions which may, or may not be accurate? I can attest that such transcriptions are not 100% reliable, and need to be verified in person.
While I am thinking of it, it is possible/likely that the witness on the 1810 marriage was the groom's father.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area