Author Topic: Kavanagh/Reilly of Enniscorthy  (Read 2628 times)

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kavanagh/Reilly of Enniscorthy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 December 16 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

I have photos of the tombstones in question so that is verified. Thank you for the tip on James KAVANAGH as the witness maybe being James father. He may well be. I can't verify that as no records exist that would help me as far as I know. So frustrating!

Thank you for all your help. It is very kind of you.

Regards,

Nora

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 January 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

I have photos of the tombstones in question so that is verified.

If you have the memorial inscriptions then presumably you know when they died. That is useful information in terms of whether they were alive at the time of the tythe or Griffiths valuations. Can you provide?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 January 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

Alice KAVANAGH died October 14th 1846 aged 72.

James KAVANAGH died June 29 1861 aged 71.

This information is taken from their tombstone.

Regards,

Nora

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 January 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

Regards,

Nora

So, you could look for James in the 1861 Census transcripts for Enniscorthy.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 January 17 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

Regards,

Nora

The deaths of "Ally Cavanagh" on October 14th, 1846, aged 70, and James Kavanagh on July 1, 1861, aged 70, are recorded in the Enniscorthy parish registers. This shows that they were resident in the parish.

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 January 17 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

Thank you for your speedy reply. I think they lived in Irish Street, but I don't know if they stayed there all their life of they moved around. Is there any way to find out what James did for a living? I know it's a long shot, and thank you for all your help. It's much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Nora

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 January 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

Thank you for your speedy reply. I think they lived in Irish Street, but I don't know if they stayed there all their life of they moved around. Is there any way to find out what James did for a living? I know it's a long shot, and thank you for all your help. It's much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Nora

Trade directories. But I don't see a James Kavanagh in the 1824 Piggott's, or 1846 Slater's directories.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 January 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Is there any way to find out what James did for a living?

You mentioned that you have details of the children and descendants of James and Ally/Alice down to the present. Can you say when/where the children were married, and where/when they died? Depending on dates and locations, may have father's (James) occupation on marriage registration, and children occupations will in any case be a guide to the father's social stratum.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,

I am wondering if anyone can help me please. I have a James KAVANAGH marrying an Ally O'REILLY in Enniscorthy  on 12th October 1810.
Nora

Registers show date of marriage as 12th November, 1810.