Author Topic: Not All Quaker Records are Online - Before 1837? HOOD; PEARSON; COOK(E); ALFRED  (Read 4002 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

If the Quaker names/images online, are taken from the "RG 6" records in the PRO / TNA, Kew, then they are not all, online?

Quaker Family History Society ...
... "A basic search is free but you pay to view transcripts or images of the original records. Remember the Quaker records are the RG6 records."

Some Quaker / Friends Meeting places B M D online, stop well before the start of G.R.O. Registration in Sept 1837. Despite Quaker records listed at other Archives.

Two examples ...

SELBY Births - up to 1781
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_aq=Selby%20Friends&_cr1=RG&_dss=range&_ro=any

SCARBOROUGH - up to 1773
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_aq=Scarborough%20Friends&_cr1=RG&_dss=range&_ro=any

My George Hood (married Sarah Russell at Selby July 1815) died aged 60 yrs at Selby 18 Sept 1845 and left no clues as to where he came from, or buried. Been stuck for 18 yrs, despite acquiring other types of record images.

Two of George's sons (baptised in Selby Abbey Church Registers) became Quakers and one of his Quaker sons, James and Sarah Hood named six of their children with middle surnames, three of which so far, have proved to be descent on Sarah Hood's side, with "Russell" relating to wife Sarah of George Hood above.

The other three middle names/surnames are Cook; Alfred and Pearson.

Regards Mark

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not All Quaker Records are Online - Before 1837? HOOD; PEARSON; COOK(E); ALFRED
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if you are aware of this already, but there is a Quaker burial ground recorded at the Drax Abbey site, outside Selby. Apparently some stones were moved to a place called Gowthorpe next to where the Meeting House was. Quaker records for Selby are now apparently in the University of Leeds Special Collections, but still belong to the Society of Friends.

Will try and post the link if this is news to you.
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Not All Quaker Records are Online - Before 1837? HOOD; PEARSON; COOK(E); ALFRED
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joney

Thank you.

Photo ...
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3798170

One burial of interest in 1790 for Mary Cook of Selby, was under the York Meeting records, so my post is NOT entirely accurate.

I have the Special Collections Leeds and contact already, thanks.

Regards Mark

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Realised that you'd been chasing after these burial records for a long time, and had done it very thoroughly too, when I found other posts about this on Rootschat and elsewhere.  I think most of us discover that general statements about records and their hiding places tend to be sweeping generalisations. Good luck with your search.
Liverpool - Ireland 

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
George Hood of Selby was buried in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground in September 1845 and described as 'Not in membership'. The documents were not online, but at Leeds University.

So my George Hood was a non-Quaker, but buried in their Quaker Burial Ground.

His unmarried adult children and widow Sarah, all buried there too!

Only George Hood's Sons William Hood and James Hood and their wives were Quakers.

Regards Mark

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Congratulations on finding those burials , Mark. You must feel a real sense of satisfaction. There are definitely times when we think we have run out of options to try to solve a mystery, but this shows there is always a chance that an answer may be lurking somewhere out there after all. Well done !

Joan
Liverpool - Ireland 

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
George Hood of Selby was buried in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground in September 1845 and described as 'Not in membership'. The documents were not online, but at Leeds University.

Regards Mark

Just spotted this, hence the late response.

Don't assume that George Hood was not a Quaker.  He may not have been a member of the local Meeting, but have been a member of another Meeting.

Regards
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 00:21 BST (UK) »

Regards Mark

Just spotted this, hence the late response.

Don't assume that George Hood was not a Quaker.  He may not have been a member of the local Meeting, but have been a member of another Meeting.

Regards
Philip

Thanks Philip

We have since been and after spending on a budget hotel 2 nights, plus travel, meals, etc., managed to discover amongst 50,009 Quaker Records and Volumes, in "Volume 9" of the "York Monthly Meeting Book" MS/DEP/1981/2/York/1/31/9 pages 331; 336; 339; Rep't 346; Decision 349, that my George Hood of Selby in 1836 had applied for Quaker Membership and after 4 months of stating George Hood case continuing and a visit to see George by two named members Samuel Tuke and Thomas Allis saying George Hood was "a conscientious man and to a considerable degree convinced of the correctness of those principles and practices which distinguish us from" ... recorded in the Minutes, had been turned down as not quite ready to become a member. 17. 8 Mo[nth] 1836

His Application Letter did not seem to be in another file for Membership, Disownments etc., so couldn't see what he had told them.

Very pleased to find a record of him.

There was no subsequent (2nd) application made for Quaker Membership.

George Hood has managed to leave quite a few documents mentioning him at Selby, but no confirmation of his origin.

Mark

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
What a good find!  Fascinating to have a glimpse of the procedures Quakers used to "vet" potential members.  Suddenly, George Hood becomes a real person, not just a name with dates attached. 

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk