Author Topic: Help please - baptism Thomas Low(e) - possibly Cleobury Mortimer c.1730  (Read 1160 times)

Offline aussiecandy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help please - baptism Thomas Low(e) - possibly Cleobury Mortimer c.1730
« on: Tuesday 27 December 16 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've searched on FindMyPast and Ancestry several times for the baptism of my 5x Great grandfather Thomas Low(e) c.1730. He may have been born at Cleobury Mortimer, that's where he was married and buried. He named his first son Thomas so his father may have been Thomas too. There was a Thomas and Ann at Cleobury Mortimer who may well be his parents but I just can't find the proof of his baptism, nor of Thomas and Ann's marriage. I can't find a Will that has this family either. There's a lot of Thomas Low(e) chaps from Shropshire, not sure which one is mine.

I have the digital images for my ancestor -
Thomas Low married 21.4.1760 Cleobury Mortimer
Thomas Lowe burried 17.12.1776 Cleobury Mortimer - Inn holder and Butcher.
I know both digital images are his events because his wife's burial in 1780 states 'Relict of Thomas Lowe Inn holder and Butcher.' Of course, her name is on the marriage record so I couldn't ask for a more perfect match.

I have wondered if there may be a book about Inn holders etc of Cleobury Mortimer. I know there was a family at Highley who owned the mill. Also, I've googled several times but can't get my Thomas's baptism sorted.  :(

Sadly, I won't be back in the UK for a few more years.

Thanks in advance.  :)
Em
ANDERSON, BRIDGE, LILLEY, LINNETT, POTTER, QUERRY, SKINGSLEY, TAYLOR, WES(T)LEY :ESS
BLINCO, HOWELL, PRUE, HICKMAN :WAR
BRIDGE, BEARD, CORP, KEECH, JONES, FRY, WHITAKER, MAYHEW, REE :LDN/MDX
BURGESS, CARPENTER, CATER, DIVER, JARVIS, JONES,  :CAM
FRY, HOLE, MONGER, MATCHWICK, NASH, WELLS :SRY
ASHBY, CHADBAND, KEECH, OLIVER, SHELSTON :NTH
BEALE, HAWKINS, MORGAN, PEARCE, SMITH, TULL, WILD :HAM
BEARD, CARTER, MALPASS/MALPUS, WORKMAN :GLS
CLARK, DRAPER, HANSLOW, LAWLEY, REE, WINWOOD :SAL
THUSTIN :BKM

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please - baptism Thomas Low(e) - possibly Cleobury Mortimer c.1730
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi a baptism you may have possibly dismissed/missed:-

Tho Lowe 24th October 1730 Drayton in Hales ( Now Market Drayton) Father Thoma?

Keyboard86

EDIT But would point out their are also LOE LOW LOWES around the 1730 mark?!

Also Family Search have a Thomas Lowe 17th November 1730 Ditton Priors Father Arthur Mother Anne, Ditton Priors approx 13 miles from Cleobury Mortimer.

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aussiecandy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply, Keyboard.
Market Drayton is a bit far away, although not impossible. Not documentation to prove that possibility at this stage.
Yes, Ditton Priors is closer. Yes, I am aware of spelling variations.
That was circa 1730 in my initial post, not c for christening. He was married after Hardwicke's marriage act was introduced so he/they had to be over 21 years of age. There's nothing on the image stating that he was a minor. So he was born sometime before 1739. It doesn't state their marital status either, so no knowing if he was a widower and several years older than his bride. Going by his burial occurring 16 years after the marriage he could well have been an older man.
Thanks again.
ANDERSON, BRIDGE, LILLEY, LINNETT, POTTER, QUERRY, SKINGSLEY, TAYLOR, WES(T)LEY :ESS

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I was searching the Shropshire records for the Newall family from Cleobury Mortimer and I came across a Thomas Lowe who was born in Kinlet (just over 4 miles from Cleobury Mortimer). He was born to Edward and Ann Lowe and baptized on the 8th March 1739.
There was also another Thomas Low who was born in Bridgnorth (13 miles from Cleobury) to William and Mary in 1731
and
another Thomas Low born to Thomas and Mary in 1723 at Highley which is about 7 miles from Cleobury Mortimer.
Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Transcriptions of Cleobury Mortimer are available on melocki.org
http://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/CleoburyMortimer.html

Not searchable, you just have to scroll thro them

Mike

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 February 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes. I found that as well. It has filled in some gaps. Looks as though the Newhalls didn't move far away from Cleobury Mortimer until about the mid 1800s when they went to to Birmingham. I managed to get the Newall family back to William Newall in 1606. Now have to try and sort out each of the relationships.
Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell

Offline aussiecandy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 February 17 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin,
Thanks so much. Ancestry has 8 Mar 1738, prob due to double date period.
I vaguely recall seeing a tree sometime ago that has the early death for the chap bapt 1725. Will check that when my hand has healed.

I was searching the Shropshire records for the Newall family from Cleobury Mortimer and I came across a Thomas Lowe who was born in Kinlet (just over 4 miles from Cleobury Mortimer). He was born to Edward and Ann Lowe and baptized on the 8th March 1739.
There was also another Thomas Low who was born in Bridgnorth (13 miles from Cleobury) to William and Mary in 1731
and
another Thomas Low born to Thomas and Mary in 1723 at Highley which is about 7 miles from Cleobury Mortimer.

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I took another look at the pages in the Shropshire Baptisms record set 1706-1754 and in the middle of page 50 it gives the year (handwritten) as 1737 and in the middle of page 51 it gives the year as 1738 (also handwritten). I originally assumed that as Thomas's birth followed the list from 1737 (and ended before the 1738 date) that he was born in 1737. I appear however to be wrong. Looking closer at all the dates, the records before the (handwritten) 1738 date shows entries from October 16th until March 22nd. This means that Thomas was in fact born in 1738. Confusing, I know.

I wonder if the death of John Lowe on October 23rd (just above Thomas's entry) was a sibling of Thomas?
Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell

Offline aussiecandy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Cheers. Ok, you typed 1739 in your first reply. Either way, it's still difficult to be sure which chap is my ancestor. Yes, John could be a sibling or a cousin etc. 

I took another look at the pages in the Shropshire Baptisms record set 1706-1754 and in the middle of page 50 it gives the year (handwritten) as 1737 and in the middle of page 51 it gives the year as 1738 (also handwritten). I originally assumed that as Thomas's birth followed the list from 1737 (and ended before the 1738 date) that he was born in 1737. I appear however to be wrong. Looking closer at all the dates, the records before the (handwritten) 1738 date shows entries from October 16th until March 22nd. This means that Thomas was in fact born in 1738. Confusing, I know.

I wonder if the death of John Lowe on October 23rd (just above Thomas's entry) was a sibling of Thomas?