Author Topic: Frank Chatfield marriage in 1881 - Hull St James  (Read 699 times)

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frank Chatfield marriage in 1881 - Hull St James
« on: Tuesday 27 December 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone can help with the actual marriage record for Frank Chatfield and Sophia Louisa Akester in Hull St James on 8 August 1881.

Transcriptions of the marriage record say Frank's father is Francis Chatfield. The Frank I'm trying to trace had a mother called Frances, and his father, Henry was deceased (back in 1867).

Just wondering if Frank's mother Frances was recorded as the 'father' on the marriage record instead? Also, who the witnesses are?

Appreciate any help with this

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Chatfield marriage in 1881 - Hull St James
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi cannot assist re the marriage record, but in 1881 is Frank Chatfield aged 22 occ Fisherman b London residing at 21, Strickland Street, Kingston upon Hull RG11/4776/85/8

Sophia Louise Akester is aged 19 b Hull with family in 1881
Census Ref RG11/4774/104/21

Various births:-

George Frank Chatfield Dec qtr 1885 Hull mmn Akester
Harold Chatfield June qtr 1893 Sculcoates mmn Akester
Clara Louisa Chatfield March qtr 1896 Sculcoates mmn Akester
William Chatfield June qtr 1898 Sculcoates mmn Akester

As an example Harold Chatfield is aged 8 occ Fisherman's child in an Institution ( Port of Hull Orphans Home, Cottingham Road, Kingston upon Hull) in 1901
Census Ref RG13/4471/93/9
Keyboard86

EDIT Further birth/death Mabel Alice Chatfield June qtr 1883 Hull, death same qtr.

Clara Louisa Chatfield dies June qtr 1896 aged 5 months

Baptisms only for Harold and Clara Louisa ( possibly it was thought they would not live that long:-

Harold Chatfield 29th March 1893 Newington Father Frank occ Fisherman Mother Sophia address 76, Paisley Street

Clara Louisa Chatfield born 27th December 1895 baptism 15th January 1896 Hull, St Matthew Father Frank occ Fisherman Mother Sophia Louisa address 76, Paisley Street

The only thing that would concern me regarding the possibility that Frank is the son of Henry/Frances is that the first born male child was a George Frank, George being the father of Sophia, Frank/Francis that of Frank?
None of the children contain the name of either of the parents/ siblings of the Frank born 1859 Cheam in 1861 census.

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info. Hoping this is the right Frank Chatfield as otherwise his trail goes cold! The age is right.

I see in the 1901 census that Sophia is listed as a widow with 2 of the 4 children living with her, in Sculcoates. Interesting that Harold is in an orphans home and not with the rest of the family.  So I'm assuming Frank died sometime between the birth of this last child in 1898 and 1901, yet can't find any death record for him.

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Appreciate the extra info. Agree about the children's names, none of those names come from 'my' Frank's side. However, his father died when he was only 8 and his family appear to have been split up when he was still young, so maybe he wasn't close with any of them.

I haven't yet been able to find a birth/baptism record in England for a Frank/Francis Chatfield around the right time who had a father called Francis (or Frank). The only one I came across was for a Francis George Chatfield but he died in 1859. Hence why I wondered about the father's name on the marriage record. Also the fact that he gave his birth place as London in the 1881 census (he was born in Sutton), and the other Frank Chatfield's born around a similar time were all from Sussex.

Clutching at straws I know  :)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, yes indeed it is that "London" for Frank in 1881 that keeps me looking, I know from your other thread that the 1871 has been a problem, not only for Frank but for his siblings!

My advice, buy the marriage certificate!
Keyboard86

EDIT There  is a Newspaper report of George Frank Chatfield aged 64 occ Watchman in Hull Daily Mail if I recall, re a listing Trawler he was trapped on, will look it up later, contains a photograph of him as well!
Yes 24th January 1949 Hull Daily Mail on FindMyPast
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Found the article thanks - looks like he may have had a bit of a rough life!

Yes, will look at getting the marriage certificate if further research gets me nowhere and no one is able to assist with the parish record. Have spent a small fortune on certificates from GRO lately with their trial PDF service - hopefully that will be brought back!