Author Topic: PEARSON Mary born 1849  (Read 11634 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: PEARSON Mary born 1849
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »
There is something slightly out about Mary's age in 1861
Not at all. The 1861 census was taken on 7 April. Ages are the age people (said they) were on census day. So a person aged 11 would have been born between 8 April 1849 and 7 April 1850. This fits exactly with that birth and baptism in 1849.

- or her death certificate has put her two years older than she actually was.  That's entirely possible.
Yes.

Leadhills or Crawford, which I think is in Lanarkshire??
Yes.

Her death certificate says she died of Phthisis/TB on 23 Jun 1885 aged 38 - which would put her birth in 1847 wouldn't it?
No. If the age on her death certificate was accurate it would put it between 24 June 1846 and 23 June 1847.

James was born in Penpont (- in Dumfriesshire??)
Yes.

1891 Mary's mother Janet plus grandson James Pearson - Could he have been listed as Wilson by mistake in 1881??
It's quite common to find an illegitimate child listed in one census with its mother's surname and in another census with its father's surname. Interesting that there is also a 4-year-old Janet Wilson. Have you got a copy of her birth certificate? If she was illegitimate she would of course be indexed as Janet Pearson, but it's possible that the certificate might name her father. Have you checked James' birth certificate to see if there is an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries (RCE) that names his father?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 09:12 GMT (UK) »
William - thank you  - to the lists again!    ;)

That looks right for sure - thank you for that. 

I just bought a new lot of credits on Scotland's people and used them all up immediately finding the wrong info  -  very annoying! 

Thanks

Wiggy 

And now having tried to find these things on Ancestry - I can find them all - how embarrassing - I didn't think Ancestry had Scottish records available.    :-[ :-[

Thanks so much folks.   It does say the Wilson children are grandchildren doesn't it.  How odd!  I wonder if Mary has two children - Janet and James.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 09:13 GMT (UK) »
And now having tried to find these things on Ancestry - I can find them all - how embarrassing - I didn't think Ancestry had Scottish records available.    :-[ :-[
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian - thanks for all those answers.   :)

Re her death - it still puts her age at death two years out with her birth date  - I think.  Neither here nor there in the greater scheme of things though.   ;)

Thanks for the explanation of the different name listings.  that makes sense.

I hadn't found her birth record - only the death thus far - going searching again now -

Red post.

Thanks again Forfarian.  It is a while since I did real-live research and my memory isn't what it was.     :-[  :)   Thanks for your patience.

Wiggy 
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Re her death - it still puts her age at death two years out with her birth date  - I think.
Yes, it does. But wrong ages on death certificates are not unusual, and her age in every census is exactly consistent with the date of birth so I think you can be pretty confident that the death certificate is wrong in this instance.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I can't find Janet's birth  - or Mary's for that matter.

but have James birth record in 1877 and it names him James Wilson Pearson,  illegitimate, mother Mary, Farm Servant, and it was 11 April at Burnhead, Penpont.  He was registered 8 May at Penpont.

Thanks Forfarian.

I have now found the family in all the censuses - thanks to Ancestry - and Mary on the two where she isn't with her family.  Thanks so much for all the help!   :)

Wiggy   

Whooee - I have two butterflies sitting on my butterfly plant outside my window!!  (Success!    8))

(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if you have this one, Wiggy- possible 1841census for William Pearson

Allenton Lodge , Dunscore

John Pearson Ag lab 20 Born outside census county
Helen Pearson 60 Born Dumfriesshire
William Pearson 15 Ag lab Born outside census county.

I note the following births in Crawford Lanarkshire Parents William Pearson and Helen Hamilton (bearing in mind 1841  ages rounded down)
John 4 Jan 1818
William 14 May 1823
(Other births showing for this couple Thomas 20 March 1812 and Susanna 26 Jan 1814).

Struggling to see a birth for Janet or a death for that matter - expected to be able to find her by cross referencing the surnames Wilson and Pearson.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I can't find Janet's birth  - or Mary's for that matter.
Janet Pearson, birth Penpont 1876 RD No 845 Reg No 16.

Thought William (Millmoor) had found Mary's birth and baptism for you?

[/quote]but have James birth record in 1877 and it names him James Wilson Pearson,  illegitimate, mother Mary, Farm Servant, and it was 11 April at Burnhead, Penpont.  He was registered 8 May at Penpont.[/quote] Looks rather as if his father's surname was Wilson, then.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I think the Wilson comes from his Grandmother's maiden name, Forfarian.

I had James birth in 1877. 

And yes William did find Mary's birth for me    :)
 - I just can't find it for myself . . .  It isn't that I don't trust you all to find things, just that I like to prove to myself that I can find them, specially when I've been told they are there - also to get the record copies if they are available.!   :-[   ;)

William Pearson & Helen Hamilton - that's the family I am wanting.   ;)

I had three of those children, but hadn't found Thomas - thanks again William.   :)

In that 1841 census you've just given me, did you notice that most of the people are Kerrs - and that is also the name of the family Mary was later living with as a dairymaid in 1851?

I really really appreciate all the kicks in the right direction that you are all giving me. 

Thank you all - including Ev and Isobel, whom I haven't had time to say thanks to!

Those records for Scotland are worth Knowing about Ev. 

Isobel, I was hoping to find someone living at the dairy who might be the father of James - but maybe someone not Living there.  :-\
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)