Author Topic: Ellen Cavanagh/Kavanagh Irish Orphan Wexford  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Cavanagh/Kavanagh Irish Orphan Wexford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 December 16 02:25 GMT (UK) »
I note that Ellen's place of origin (Ross) has a question mark over it, presumably meaning that the original is hard to read? Is the original record viewable online somewhere, or can someone post a scan or copy?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 December 16 03:23 GMT (UK) »
The minute books of the Wexford Union Board of Guardians are available online, on the Wexford County Library/Archive site.
http://wexfordcountyarchive.com/our-collections/digital-collections/poor-law-union-minute-books-wexford-union/
 I took a look at the entries for 8th September 1849 and the following and preceding weeks. The entries for 8th and 15th September have lists of names for those being supplied with "outfits" for emmigration. However, I don't see an Ellen Kavanagh among them. Another discrepancy is that page 182, as numbered on the minute book itself, is for June 1849, not September, and does not mention emigrants. Did I miss her name as the handwriting is not the best, or is there a discrepancy here?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 December 16 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, another duplicate - I sometimes hit quote rather than modify...

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 December 16 05:26 GMT (UK) »
I note that Ellen's place of origin (Ross) has a question mark over it, presumably meaning that the original is hard to read? Is the original record viewable online somewhere, or can someone post a scan or copy?

To answer my own question, the ship's passenger list for the Panama is available online at the New South Wales State Archives & Records site. Ellen's record can be seen at
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?Page=NRS5316/4_4786/Panama_12%20Jan%201850/4_478600465.jpg&No=4
Her "native place" is clearly given as Ross, Co. Wexford. There is no doubt about this.

Offline petwal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 January 17 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear Wexflyer Thanks and Happy New Year. I will now try to find Ellen's Baptismal Certificate. I assume that as a Roman Catholic the records would be in the Parish registers. As the Poor house admission records now longer exist How would I find where she lived in New Ross? Unfortunately her surname is spelled with a  C and a K in Australian records and her immigration records show a spelling with K & that she could not red or write.
Thanks Peter (Petwal)  ;D
Hoare NSW & Hampshire; Snape Wolverhamton; Jackson Manchester & Australia; Taber NSW; McGire/Maguire/McGuire NSW;

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 January 17 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Wexflyer Thanks and Happy New Year. I will now try to find Ellen's Baptismal Certificate. I assume that as a Roman Catholic the records would be in the Parish registers. As the Poor house admission records now longer exist How would I find where she lived in New Ross? Unfortunately her surname is spelled with a  C and a K in Australian records and her immigration records show a spelling with K & that she could not red or write.
Thanks Peter (Petwal)  ;D
Yes, the parish registers are your best bet. The New Ross registers are in Latin and are available free on the NLI website at http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0604
Ancestry has indexed the New Ross and other registers. Unfortunately, I don't see an exact match to the details given for your Ellen - but their indexing is usually not 100% accurate.
I would note that the 1830s and 1840s had prevalent epidemics. A relative of mine, Rev. William Brennan, was PP (parish priest) of New Ross from 1830 to his death in 1846. A short biography notes that there were cholera and fever (typhus??) epidemics in the town in 1832, 1836, and 1839. I believe he died tendering to the sick in another epidemic in 1846.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 January 17 06:48 GMT (UK) »
New Ross Deaths

Name:   Judith Kavanagh
Death Date:   29 November 1839

Judith Kavanagh, infant
Death Date:   2 Apr 1840

Michael Kavanagh, infant
Death Date:   1 Aug 1843

Name:   Michl Kavanagh, infant
Death Date:   2 Jan 1848

Name:   Micheal Kavanagh, infant
Death Date:   18 Feb 1848

Name:   Micheal Kavanagh, infant
Death Date:   20 Feb 1848

Name:   Michael Kavanagh
Death Date:   4 Aug 1848

Name:   Michl Kavanagh, infant
Death Date:   12 Jun 1849

From these you can see that you have one matching Judith, and one matching Michael in New Ross in the relevant time period.
I also note that the registers show an appalling death rate - most days have multiple deaths very day!