Author Topic: Edward T. Roberts - Coastguard - Born in the West Indies  (Read 2498 times)

Offline glenbrighton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward T. Roberts - Coastguard - Born in the West Indies
« on: Wednesday 28 December 16 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the history of my G.G.G. Grandfather Edward T. Roberts.

I believe he was born in the British West Indies (St. Thomas or St. Croix) about 1807. On all his subsequent census entries he describes himself as a "British Subject".

In the 1841 census he is living in Seaford. He married Jane Sarah Wade in Telscombe (in 1834). His occupation is Coastguard. They have 3 small children.

In the 1851 census he is living in Newhaven in the coast guard houses, he is still a Coastguard and they now have 5 children.

In the 1861 census he is still living in Newhaven, he calls himself a "Seaman" and still has 5 children with him (they had 10 children).

In the 1871 census he is still in Newhaven, he is now a "superannuated Coastguard" & Labourer. He is living with a number of children and their husbands/wifes and children.

His wife Jane is a widow by the next census in 1881.

How do I find out about his birth in the West Indies? Can I find anything about his early life and how he got back to England?

I think I have found his death in 1878 in Lewes and have just sent off for his death certificate.

How do I find out about the Newhaven Coastguard, would they keep records that far back?

Edward is going to be my project for 2017, I want to find out as much about him as I can.

Thanks

Happy New Year!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Edward T. Roberts - Coastguard - Born in the West Indies
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I have a relative born in Barbados as his father father was in the army there at the time, this may be the case with Edward. Have you tried FamilySearch to see if there is a baptism?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline glenbrighton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I did look there and the only additional information was another possible birth year (1809) and that he was in the "United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941".

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi the Merchant Navy record for an Edward Roberts born 22nd January 1809 St Thomas West Indies is on FindMyPast
Not much about his experiences but shows aged 36 when ticketed and ref 250443
A few people on this site who could delve further for you if in fact this is him?
Keyboard86

PS Newhaven gets a mention as abode in UK, and he also spent a few years in the Royal Navy
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
You can trace coastguards via the records(Class ADM175) at TNA which can be downloaded free as part of the digital microfilm project.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/free-online-records-digital-microfilm/

In 1833 he was appointed to Bearshide from the Firefly and remained there until 1838.  Between 1838 and 1842 he was stationed at Cuckmere as a Boatman.  He was then promoted as Commissioned Boatman back to Newhaven.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Between 1838 and 1842 he was stationed at Cuckmere as a Boatman.

I wonder if he lived in the coastguard cottages that are always photographed and painted - the ones leading down to the Cuckmere?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline glenbrighton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 17 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody.

Happy New Year.

Thanks for all the help. I have his death certificate now and he died in 1878. It was my G.G. grandmother who registered his death and who was with him at his death, a lovely personal touch.

I want to find out about his coastguard career so will go down that route first.

The record on Findmypast states he first went to sea at the age of 6, and even has a description of him. More importantly it has a birth date, which is different from every census record and from the age on his death certificate.

I will have to work out how to find more information about his birth on St Thomas.

It mat even mean a visit which would be nice.

Thanks

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
During the Crimean War he was one of the Coastguards who saw active service with the fleet on HMS Nile, for which he was awarded the Baltic Medal. He gave his age as 50 in Nile's Description Book, which made him one of the oldest men in the fleet!

Martin

Offline glenbrighton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Martin,

Wow..... that is fantastic information, thank you!

How do I find the Nile's description book online?

Thanks

Glen