Author Topic: Sarah Wilson. Born approx. 1883.  (Read 603 times)

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Wilson. Born approx. 1883.
« on: Wednesday 28 December 16 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschat!

It's been a while since I've last been on here so please excuse me if I make any hiccups.

I'm currently doing a fair few family trees for different people and I've come across a dead end in my "Wilson family tree"

I do all my own research but I've come to the point where I'm in desperate need in help before I start spending money. I've been tracing back a man named John William Wilson B. Dec 1909 - D. 1979. 

I've spoken to the lady in question I am doing this family tree for and she told me that this man had 2 sisters and a Brother. Nellie Wilson B. 1908. Hannah Wilson B. 1923 (later found out she has been registered as Dorothy) and Frank Wilson B. 1926.

I found the said 1911 census with Nellie and John William Wilson listed as a 1 and 2 year old They were  living with an older sister named Sally Wilson and parents Sarah Wilson and John William Wilson Senior.

Mystery 1: I've attempted to research the Sally Wilson in question. Its recorded she was born in Wakefield around 1905 ~ 1906. However upon looking there is no Sally Wilson registered in that district. Looking at the county search only one Sally Wilson was registered. Born in 1907 and died that same year.

Mystery 2 is the mother - Sarah Wilson. I am unable to find any information about this woman apart from what is on the 1911 census, being born in Austerfield, Bawtry and being married to John William Wilson for 7 years. However I'm unable to find any marriage certificate. Again, I do all my own research and have searched on freebmd and ancestry for a Sarah marrying a John William Wilson. I have also taken into consideration he may have only used one of his names with no success. I also found that John William Sr. moved the Hull at a young age and spread my searches for 'marriage' to East Riding to yet again, no success!

I have attempted to find her maiden name via births of Frank and Hannah (Dorothy) but have found that John William Senior had these children with other women. I once again, spoken to the lady I'm doing this tree for to see if she recalled this 'Sarah' woman. However by the time she was born John William Sr. was living with another woman.

I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone is able to find any information about Sarah and Sally. I have tried to write as much as I can about what I've done but can answer anymore questions. I will also 'attempt' to attach the 1911 census for anyone who wants to view that.

Thank you!

Moderator comment: Regardless of the the terms and conditions of any other sites,
RootsChat's own position - under guidance from the owners -
is that no 1911 census look-up requests are allowed.

Assistance is limited to what may be found in the FREE indexes.

Please see here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355484.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,492718.0.html

Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Wilson. Born approx. 1883.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you found John William Wilson jnr's birth on the GRO website which should give his mother's surname?

There is one birth of a John William Wilson born q1 1910, Thorne with MMN - Allen

On the 1901 a Sarah Allen (b. 1882 Austerfield, Yorkshire) is living in Doncaster -

RG13 Piece 4414 Folio 44 Page 23

Perhaps worth a look  :)

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 20:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a Nellie Allen born q2 1908 Doncaster Vol 9c page 976. No mother's maiden name recorded which can imply that Nellie was illegitimate.

Cannot find a Sally Wilson/Allen's birth c.1906, however have found a Sarah Allen born q4 1905, Wakefield, Vol 9c Page 51. Again no MMN recorded.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Found a marriage that could be worth considering -

Sarah Allen
q4 1909, Thorne
Vol 9c Page 1509
On the same page is a John Wilson.

The location of the marriage is the same as the birth record for John William Wilson.

JJ

Added - YorkshireBMD has the marriage of Sarah Allen to John Wilson at St Mary's, Stainforth, Doncaster.

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot!  :) How do I go about looking at the GRO? Where would I go too?
Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
You will need to register -

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Once registered you'll be able to search for births which will give MMN (hopefully  :) ) Also deaths are available to search which shows the age at death.

Hopefully you'll find this site is a very useful tool to have.

JJ

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 December 16 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again! :)