Author Topic: Caterson also spelt Catterson) family from Co. Tyrone  (Read 5945 times)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caterson also spelt Catterson) family from Co. Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
In my original post I said the Margaret Caterson was employed at Hyde Park Barracks.

I've since found that after her arrival on the 'Ocean Empress', Margaret went to the Hyde Park Barracks, as many of the immigrant women did, and would've stayed there for a few days.  An ad was placed in the newspaper by the company who brought her and many others on the ship to Australia, and from that ad she was employed for 3 months.  It was after this time, that she disappeared.

Sharon

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 17 21:50 GMT (UK) »

Possibly?
BDM VIC  birth
1855 / 2517 BUIKS Thos Hy   parents Jas Fredk /  Jane CATTERSON  @ SHURST

What names do you have for the parents of the CATERSON siblings?

Can you tell us the parents please?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 17 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi 'Sparrett'.  The parents were Thomas and Cecilie (or Cecilia) (nee Maguire) CATERSON.  It appears that there were probably other children to the marriage, but the ones we have found and are researching are all we could find.  The parents were both deceased when their children started emigrating to Australia.

The children we've found were all born in County Tyrone, Ireland.  They are:

James, wife Catherine, and sister (aged 16 years) who emigrated as assisted migrants to Sydney, Australia in 1841.

Susannah Caterson emigrated as an assisted migrant in 1854.  Susannah later married to John MOORE in Camden. 

Margaret Caterson emigrated in September 1862.

Warm regards
Sharon

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I feel the Victorian birth noted by Wivenhoe above

BDM VIC  birth
1855 / 2517 BUIKS Thos Hy   parents Jas Fredk /  Jane CATTERSON  @ SHURST

is a strong possibility.

Sandhurst at that time was the centre of the great goldrush and it is quite possible Jane was there.
BUIKS is not a surname I have ever seen and I would venture to say it is a mistranscription for BANKS.

The child was named Thomas, which was also Jane's father's name.

There are no other births to the couple that I can see and I do not see a marriage for them either.

The birth certificate can be downloaded upon payment by card.

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Annoyingly the site is down for maintenance at present ::)

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sparrett and thanks again to Wivenhoe..

I've looked at Wivenhoe's post and agree, it looks very promising and I'll check it out.

As you say, Thomas was Jane's father and naming her son would follow what many of the family did in naming children after other family members.  James Caterson named many of his children after family members.

I'll post on here, what I find.

Thanks again - very much appreciated.

Warm regards
Sharon

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
  there is a probate packet available for James Caterson https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/233948

The probate notice http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article223529709 indicates it is the correct man.

Do you have this probate packet?  There's a small chance that there may be mention of Jane ...
If you don't have it I could photograph it for you next time I am there

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros

Thank you for your very generous offer - it is very much appreciate.  The James Caterson you refer to is the brother of my ancestor.  Please don't make a special trip - whenever you're at the State Records of NSW next would be great.  (We live in Canberra, so getting to Kingswood is a little difficult for us from here, and we don't plan on a visit to Sydney anytime soon.)

My husband has a copy of James' will (he got it from the website 'Find My Past') but if you have time, we'd really appreciate it if you could see if there was anything other than that in the probate package.  Photo/s would be wonderful - do you want my email address?  If you do, send me a Private Message and I can send it to you.  (I've only been using RootsChat for a short while and wouldn't know how to do that - hope you do??)

Once again, THANKS, your generosity is very much appreciated.  If there's anything you want done at the National Library in the future, please don't hesitate to ask, as we'd love to be able to repay you for your kindness.

Warm regards
Sharon

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
  A pleasure to help  :)  I'll pm you a link to the photographs once I've taken them.   You'll get notified by mail of a pm and then can click on "My Messages" in the brown banner at the top.

(To send a pm you click on the little circle under their username with a letter/text in it.)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 06:57 GMT (UK) »
What age do you have for Margaret CATERSON.....much younger than brother James?

Regarding her sponsorship by Susannah MOORE nee CATERSON........they are identified as sisters?