Author Topic: Cork District Hospital ? Lunatic Asylum  (Read 4088 times)

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cork District Hospital ? Lunatic Asylum
« on: Thursday 29 December 16 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone know if the name Cork District Hospital could be the Cork District Lunatic Asylum?  The name was  found as the place of death in a death records book for Sup. Registrar's Dist. Cork, District No. 1 Rural.   If this place is one and the same where should I start looking for any records if they exist?  Death occurred in 1950 and looks like relative may have been there a couple of years prior to death.  I found some info by googling, which is how I learned of the lunatic asylum but no mention of a plain old Cork District Hospital.   Any help appreciated.  Thank you.  Ruthi
County Cork - Knockadoon and Ballyandreen
- Murray / Shanahan
County Galway  Glassilaun
- O'Malley / Coyne / Kane
Sweden
   Lundberg/Lambert     goteborgs
   Gothe       orebro

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cork District Hospital ? Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 16 08:35 GMT (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 16 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 16 09:04 GMT (UK) »
These numbered districts are always annoying to work out, have a look at the address of people on the same page who didn't die in the hospital to get an idea of exactly which are of the city the district was.

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  This is great info to get me started.  Since the death occurred in 1950, somewhat recent by research standards, I might not be able to access hospital records but had not thought that there could be a cemetery attached to place of death and will look into that.  The Work House info becomes interesting.  On 1911 census Paddy Murray's mother Ellen was still alive in home in Knockadoon. Her occupation is listed as "Union Cottage Holder"  which I have always suspected had something to do with the Poor Law Union Workhouse system.  The record I found on Paddy's death was from a register book.  I'm thinking I need to look for an actual death certificate.  Not sure what additional info it will give, but seems one of many next steps.
Thank you.
- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Image....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Ellen is down as landholder
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002033795/

did Patrick have his own boat see C580 name Don/Done/Dore ? 5 tons
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002033851/

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 December 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark and Dathai,
That Hosp. record is the one I had just found which provided the new info.  Need to figure out the Ballymadog reference as it's the first time that place name has appeared.  I know the family house was in Knockadoon just s.e. of Ballymacoda.
That is the correct 1911 census with Ellen, my great grand, as head of house.  I had never seen the census listing vessels before!  Very exciting.  Paddy was apparently quite a fisherman so it is possible that is his boat.    I have a copy of a newspaper article, unknown date but after 1950 when Paddy died.  The article is headed "The lobster woman of Ballyandreen".  It refers to Mrs. Anne Dawes (nee Murray)  Article refers to her relation the late Paddy Murray "one of the best salmon and herring fishermen of Knockadoon".  Two months ago I emailed the Midleton chamber of commerce trying to find out how I might track down another copy of this article.  It is a cut and paste job sent to me years ago, without publication name or date of publication.  It is very difficult to read.  I did get a response from the chamber saying they would pass my question on to a local researcher but no response yet.  The article was written by "our correspondent" so no help there.  I'm trying to find out what papers are in the area that would report on fishermen from ballyandreen/knockaddoon after 1950.
Thanks again for your help.
- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro