Author Topic: Elizabeth Williams & Joseph James Orcop about 1861  (Read 1056 times)

Offline madger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Williams & Joseph James Orcop about 1861
« on: Thursday 29 December 16 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,
Joseph (born abt 1838 in Llantillio Crossenny) married Elizabeth (born abt 1845 Fownhope, Orcop) On the 5th November 1859 in Orcop Herefordshire. The last information I have been able to find is in 1861 census:-
Joseph James (Farm Labourer) aged 22 living in Orcopp, Herefordshire with wife Elizabeth aged 19 and son William James aged 1.
In the 1871 census the son William James aged 11living at Brook House, Llantilo
Crossenny with Grandmother Elizabeth James aged 83 widow.
William’s Uncle Thomas James aged 48 also at property.

If anyone can assist in any way regarding what happened to Elizabeth & Joseph from 1861 on I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards

Paul

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Williams & Joseph James Orcop about 1861
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 16 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Does William James marry, and, if so, does he claim his father as still alive on the marriage certificate?

Offline madger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 December 16 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chempat,
Yes William Marries in 1885 and his father Joseph is named and not mentioned as deceased.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 16 16:22 GMT (UK) »
For anyone looking for this family in 1861, they are living in Skenfrith, Monmouthshire, not Orcop  :)

RG 9 / 3985 / 50 / 20.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 16 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB - That's the last known information I have on Joseph and Elizabeth, can't find anything from the 1861 census on until Joseph is named on his son's wedding certificate in 1885.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 16 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I've spent some time looking and I can't yet find anything in subsequent censuses.

Sadly, the fact that Joseph is not noted as deceased on his son's  marriage certificate doesn't mean that you can assume he was still alive at that time There have been many threads on this topic on Rootschat, and many examples given where the word 'deceased' wasn't added to the certificate, but the person concerned is known to have been dead for some time.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest189040

« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I too am researching the Williams of Orcop as I have an Elizabeth Lucy Williams b 1854 Daughter of Edward Williams and Hannah nee Meadmore as my 3xGreat GrandMother.

It is very difficult to identify precisely who is who with the Williams family in and around Orcop, I have even been there to see the area for myself and in the Orcop churchyard there are a lot of Williams burried there.

Do you have any Tree on Ancestry?

Alas mine on Ancestry is limited with the Williams, Elizabether Lucy had a sister Laura and both married into the Ruck family so these sisters and their parents are all I can reasonably relate to each other.

I know it is not a great deal of help but you wil come across these in your research.

Good luck