Author Topic: Eyam/Foolow parish records look up please  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Eyam/Foolow parish records look up please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 December 16 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Henry not being C of E could be a possibility - he marries and christens his children in a C of E church but of course he could have been brought up as a non-conformist or Catholic.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 December 16 15:15 GMT (UK) »
The Davis's I found could be related, both had a John perhaps a grandfather's name. I'll see what Davis families I can find from earlier.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 December 16 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Found a family in Hope may link with the family I found, seems to be all girls born 1760s father Thomas though.

A family in Matlock with the father of several children whose name was John. 3 sons born

George baptised 1857

John   baptised 1855

William baptised 1861

I know Matlock has a lead mine as I went into 1 at the Heights of Abraham IF sons then grandsons followed  father's occupation it maybe why John was at Matlock.

There are several families in the area, don't envy you trying to sort this out. Davis is a Welsh name so you may find the miners originate in Wales.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 December 16 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pat, that has been a real help. 

We have Davis' permeating throughout the family as the majority of Husband's relatives come from Wales.   :D

It would be fab if there was a Matlock connection, because we have already booked to visit there next summer!

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 December 16 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I can't find a Henry so that's who I'd look for as John is a common name.

I can't find the parents of John Lloyd abt 1786 Dudley, there's several baptised near that time, he's my 3rd gt grandfather. My father and many Lloyd relatives from several branches of the family have the same tale. Lloyds were Welsh miners from the Valleys and moved to follow the work. The move was about my gt gt grandfather's time, trouble is I'm one generation further back and he was born in Dudley.  ???

I believe the story, it's just got slightly adrift with the wrong number of generations. Can you imagine trying to find Lloyd in Wales  :o

Happy New Year and good searching. The Peak District is lovely have a lovely and fruitful holiday.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 December 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »

It would be fab if there was a Matlock connection, because we have already booked to visit there next summer!

The Record Office at Matlock has the registers for all of Derbyshire -- so will have the registers for Eyam & Hope if you need to check  further
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »

The Record Office at Matlock has the registers for all of Derbyshire -- so will have the registers for Eyam & Hope if you need to check  further

Now that is tempting - I'll send husband and the boys to Gulliver's Kingdom, whilst I go to the record office.  Sounds like the perfect day out  ;)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I believe the story, it's just got slightly adrift with the wrong number of generations. Can you imagine trying to find Lloyd in Wales  :o

Lloyds in Wales  :o

There should be another emoticon especially reserved for that feeling of research Smiths in England and Lloyds in Wales  ;)

Offline bobcbassfisher9993

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I have a record of a marriage in Eyam  of John Davis & Sarah Young 31 Aug 1779
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/59b1eed6f493fdce77da0486?search_id=5a717cfb4325a612b576bfd1&ucf=false

A John Davis was buried at St Michaels & All Saints , Hathersage 16 Apr 1731, son of Thomas so presumably died young ? Possibly the same Thomas Davis of Hope as they are close by .
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817d3a5e93790ec75709cb5?search_id=5a718c834325a612b5770617&ucf=false
The only other John Davis I found was from the family at Old Brampton , which is Chesterfield area.

BTW its lovely and sunny in Paphos today  ;D