Author Topic: Looking for Alice Sheepwash in 1881 - Shoreditch?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline sheepbritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Alice Sheepwash in 1881 - Shoreditch?
« on: Friday 30 December 16 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to tidy up some of the loose ends of my research but am stuck on this one. Alice Sheepwash (nee MILES) born 1861 is my great grandmother.

I have found her on all the censuses except 1881. She died in 1939.   

Alice Miles married Edward Neville Sheepwash in December 1879, but they aren't recorded as being in the same place on census night 1881.  Edward is at 20 Fitts Rents, Nuthall Street, Hoxton along with his mother and siblings.  He's recorded as unmarried - so where is his wife, Alice?

I checked whether she was with her mother - Elizabeth Miles, but had no joy there as the widowed Elizabeth is living with one of her daughters in Haggerston.

I've looked for her as  Alice Miles and Alice Sheepwash but can't find her so I hope someone can spot her somewhere!  ("Sheepwash"  does get mistranscribed quite frequently).

Thank you for any help you can provide in finding her in 1881. 

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Alice Sheepwash in 1881 - Shoreditch?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
She can't have been far as her son Edward James Sheepwash was born 24th October 1881 so she would have been pregnant when the census was taken, I wonder if there were problems and if she was in hospital and just recorded by her initials?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 December 16 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Edward James was born in late October 1881. Her address on the baptism is I think 1 Bacchus Walk, but she's not at that address on the census

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 16 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Something strange if you look at the 1881 census, there are two daughters both aged 22 - a Mary Ann Sheepwash (single) born Great Chart Street (same place of birth as given for Edward) and a Clementine Sheepwash (married) born Pug Lane Hoxton. They can't both be daughters. If married, Clementine Sheepwash must be a daughter in law. I wonder if she is Alice under another name?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 December 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
On 1861 Mary Ann is 5 and Clementina 3, so I guess it's probably a mistake somewhere?

Offline sheepbritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 December 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the help so far - I've never really paid much attention to  Clementina as she's not a direct ancestor but checking my records I realised that she married a George Jones in 1875, so she was correctly recorded as married in 1881 (although her surname should have been Jones.)  I think she  appears on the census with her husband and family living at 3 Wilmer Gardens Hoxton, so she's been enumerated twice. 

Interestingly, in 1901,  Clementina's mother, Mary Ann Sheepwash is living with her in Shoreditch, giving her maiden name -  Mary Ann Harding!  They must have been fairly flexible about which names they used....

Still no sign of Alice though!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 December 16 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I think she  appears on the census with her husband and family living at 3 Wilmer Gardens Hoxton, so she's been enumerated twice

Could the same thing have happened with Edward, perhaps he wasn't actually with his family but was with Alice somewhere else? Maybe his parents misunderstood the census and listed all their children and Edward and Alice have been mistranscribed elsewhere.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 December 16 21:38 GMT (UK) »
a suggestion, given Edward’s middle name. Address 40 Great James St, all born Hoxton. ages and his occupation match

Edward Nevill    26 - walking stick maker
Alice Nevill    20 - wife
Louisa Baker    5 - visitor

RG11, 395, 30, 53

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 December 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I think that may be them Mabel! Just shows how one comment can lead to finding an answer. Need to check there is no Edward Nevill marrying an Alice and maybe find out who Louise Baker is to be sure.