Author Topic: Richard Collins born 1794 married Jemima Edwards  (Read 945 times)

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Collins born 1794 married Jemima Edwards
« on: Friday 30 December 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello
It has been a while since I visited the forums. I know there was other researchers here who had connections to the Collins family of Bennington Hertfordshire.

I have spent a great deal of time trying to determine the correct birth year for the above mentioned Richard Collins who married Jemima Edwards in 1819. There seems to be some confusion with Richard. One is his birth year, the other is the month he died in 1841.
According to the 1841 Census he was aged 44 this would make him born abt. 1797. Richard and Jemima had a son Richard born in 1840 this son died in 1841 aged 1 and was buried 25 July. His father Richard also died in 1841 aged 47 and was buried 23 November, this would make him born abt 1794. This is according to Burial records I have found. I can locate the son, or whom I believe to be the son in the GRO death index. Unable to locate the Father Richard in the GRO death index which is a disappointment as I would like to order a copy of his death certificate.

I have come across Richard in others family trees online and they all have him down as being born in 1788. However, I question this as the Richard that they are using for this year of birth was baptized 25 May 1788 and named Richard COLLINGS. I know a surname spelling can differ from one record to another. My issue is that there is also an infant Richard COLLINGS who died and was buried November 1788, according to the burial register. Therefore, I question the reliability of using the parents found in the baptism record of 1788.

I cannot locate any baptism or birth record for Richard Collins born abt 1794-1797. Therefore I am at a loss as to where to look for further information. Of course his birth/baptism record could be lost or he may have never been baptized. In which case I will never be able to determine his parentage.

If there are any other researchers here that have looked into the Collins family of Bennington Hertfordshire would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Sharon
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Collins born 1794 married Jemima Edwards
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 16 05:43 GMT (UK) »
This one looks like a possibility:

COLLIN, RICHARD      Age=47    Dec Qtr 1841 Hertford Union
GRO Reference:  Volume 06  Page 363 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 16 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Have had a look at the actual burial register and Richard's surname is spelt as "Collins". He was buried at Benington Herts 23 Nov 1841 age 47 (therefore born abt 1793)

Hs wife Jemima (nee Edwards) was bur 30 Mar 1846 Benington age 54(born abt 1792)
(It seems they married 8 May 1819 Benington)

They appear to have had abt 9 children between 1820-1840 christened in Benington (I haven't checked to see if all the children survived though)

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 16 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Have had a look at the actual burial register and Richard's surname is spelt as "Collins". He was buried at Benington Herts 23 Nov 1841 age 47 (therefore born abt 1793)

Hs wife Jemima (nee Edwards) was bur 30 Mar 1846 Benington age 54(born abt 1792)
(It seems they married 8 May 1819 Benington)

They appear to have had abt 9 children between 1820-1840 christened in Benington (I haven't checked to see if all the children survived though)

Thanks Lady Di!! This is the information I have found. They had 10 children. I do believe all their children survived apart from the youngest born 1840 died 1841 being Richard.

My issue is with the baptism of the Richard Collings in 1788 being used as a source for this Richards birth and parents in many family trees. I feel that not everyone has realised this is not the correct Richard Collins. Or I at least feel it is not the correct person. My other issue is again with online family trees is the Son Richards death in 1841 GRO death index is also being used as a source for the fathers death. I have tried and tried to find the Richard (the father) in the GRO death index but can find nothing. Maybe it went unregistered? Is that a possibility? I do not know.

Thanks again
Sharon
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 16 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I took some time this morning to browse through the death index on ancestry and was able to locate Richards death. He was registered under the name Richard COLLIN the S being left off. I shall order the certificate in the new year to see what this can tell me.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 16 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Good to see that you've been able to confirm the information I posted in Reply#1

At least you now have the correct Volume & Page number.