Author Topic: Not sure where to start can someone help?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure where to start can someone help?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 December 16 19:14 GMT (UK) »
There's an Owen Callaghan in Cadder, Lanarkshire in 1901 with a daughter Margaret of the right age to be your Margaret. There is a corresponding birth registration in Cadder in 1899,which might be worth checking out.

I wouldn't put it beyond the bounds of possibility that the daughter got the year of birth wrong - I only know my mother's because I've seen her birth certificate  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline MrsD16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 December 16 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Molly/Mollie can be both a feminine given name and a pet-name for Mary or Margaret.

I saw that marriage certificate also and wondered if it was your Margaret

I had heard that about Molly being a variant of Margaret which is why I looked at it in the first place, and everything else matches so I'm leaning more and more to believing this is the correct marriage certificate :)

Offline MrsD16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 December 16 19:56 GMT (UK) »
There's an Owen Callaghan in Cadder, Lanarkshire in 1901 with a daughter Margaret of the right age to be your Margaret. There is a corresponding birth registration in Cadder in 1899,which might be worth checking out.

I wouldn't put it beyond the bounds of possibility that the daughter got the year of birth wrong - I only know my mother's because I've seen her birth certificate  ;D

Ruth

Thank you so much :) I have just purchased more credits on scotlandspeople and looked at that record and yes father is Owen Callaghan and Margaret Callaghan born 1st December 1899 so looks like her daughter had the incorrect year now I can move forward in my research thank you :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you also checked the first quarter of 1901 births as it may have been registered then?
Unlike in England and Wales, Scottish registrations are not done by quarter years, only by full years, and a birth had to be registered within 21 days, so anyone born on 1 December 1900 should be in the 1900 births index, not 1901.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.