Author Topic: Douglas Robson born 1835 Newcastle  (Read 586 times)

Offline ADR68

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Douglas Robson born 1835 Newcastle
« on: Friday 30 December 16 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello All
I am reposting this in case any new info is available.
Douglas Robson 1860 Sydney

Hello All
 I am trying to find out what happened to a Relative of mine, his name was Douglas Robson he was born in 1835 in Newcastle, England, his Parents were John Robson & Eleanor Urwin.
 Douglas was a Seaman and the last record I have of him is being a on the 'SS Cairngorm' which sailed to Sydney in 1860, after that the trail runs cold, there is no sign of him returning to England to marry and no sign of his death.
 I am wondering if he settled in Australia, maybe someone can shed some light on this mystery.

Thanks
 Allan Robson

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Robson born 1835 Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 16 12:41 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't get you any further forward unfortunately, but after the Cairngorm he appears to have sailed on the Maua departing from Nelson and arriving Sydney on 16 Nov 1860.

The only death I can see is in Newtown, NSW in 1895 but no age is given and mother's name is recorded as Ida M.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ADR68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Robson born 1835 Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 16 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks for your help, I am now wondering if he jumped ship and changed his name.