Author Topic: Henry Harry bC1845 of St Austell to California  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry Harry bC1845 of St Austell to California
« on: Saturday 31 December 16 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone suggest howvI might find records of my Henry Wyatt having travelled to California for about 6 years?
I am uncertain as to exactly when but he was living at home with his widowed mother in 1861 and I cannot find him in 1871 when he would have been in his mid twenties.Perhaps that is when he went to California.
He married Elizabeth Hancock 1874 St Austell and was to become innkeeper at Seven Stars Inn
soon after.
He was innkeeper at Seven Stars Inn definitely 1881-1902 ( perhaps earlier)  and Bugle Inn until 1914.
He died 1920.

With thanks.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Harry bC1845 of St Austell to California
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 16 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought

Hy Harry  Age 20  Labourer
Arrival Date    25 Apr 1865
Place of Origin    England
Port of Departure   Liverpool, England
Destination    United States of America
Port of Arrival    New York, New York
Ship Name   City of Washington

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 16 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Family Search also has this one and the image is available

Henry Harry Age 18 Lab Birthplace England
Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Passenger Lists
Event Type Immigration 1864  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Ship Name  Saranak

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 16 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay
Both suggestions seem numerically possible seeing that he was born first quarter 1845.also aged 16 at 1861 Census. His mother died 1874 same year as he married.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I now have passenger list for "City of Washington" showing Henry Harry aged 20 a miner arriving New York New York 25 April 1864.
There is also a letter re a passport application dated 1861. Might there have been such a delay or catching up with paper work?
Trying to prove that is him. It is reported in his 1920 obitury that he spent 6 years in California. :-X
How can I further prove?

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 17 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the 1870 USA census but can't see him although there is a Henry Harry age 24 born England living in Augusta, Kalamazoo, Michagan working as a farmer  with wife and two children, but he appears to be still there is later census years

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I believe have now found him 1870 USA Census Jackson Amador California.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 17 04:20 GMT (UK) »
1870 Township 1, Amador Co., California
Henry Harry, age 21, Miner, born England
Also living in the same hotel(?) was a John Skinner, age 25, Miner, born England

California State Court Naturalization Records
11th Judicial District, County of Amador
7 August 1873
Henry Harry, it was his intention to become a citizen of the United States of America and to renounce allegiance...particularly to Victoria Queen of Great Britain and Ireland.  Sign B. F. Richtmyer(?), Clerk
It appears that Henry Harry signed the document.
Also signed on the same day was a document for John Skinner, renouncing his allegiance as well.

Looking at a family tree that has a marriage document for Henry Harry and Elizabeth Hancock - Henry Harry signed the document.

The signatures from the marriage document and the naturalization record are very similar, especially the "H's", and "y" in his last name.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 17 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Lisa.
I am sure that is my Henry Harry ( brother of my great grandfather John Hammer Harry who came to Australia ).
Henry obviously returned to Cornwall as he married Elizabeth Hancock 5 Nov 1874 at St Austell.He became innkeeper at the Seven Stars Inn 1883-1902.He died 1920 St Austell.I think John Skinner was related.

I appreciate your contribution.