Author Topic: the robbs new deer aberdeenshire  (Read 10085 times)

Offline pipsqeak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: the robbs new deer aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 June 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
hello forfarian, i’ve the marriage entry for george robb and elspet johnston, my great grandparents from new deer and married in 1876, his parents were james robb and christian robb, hers were james johnston amd anne johnston. p.

Offline pipsqeak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 June 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
flst, yes, i’d like a photo of the headstone for george robb, new deer, thankyou very much and if not too much trouble. p. .

Offline pipsqeak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 June 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
hello, i’d very much like to find any living descendants of george and elspeth robb (my great grandparents), of new deer, aberdeenshire, they were married in 1876
their children were:
barbara
isabella
helen
elsie/ elspet
henry
james
maggie ann
john
francis
marjorie (my grandmother)
allan
i’d like to find the next generation who may be living, or the next still, as they would be cousins etc to my mother.

Offline pipsqeak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 June 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
hello andy j robb, may i ask you if you are related to george and elspeth robb of new deer, my great grandparents through your father james?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 June 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
pipsqueak, we haven't got far enough back to know that.

We are fairly sure that Andy's family goes back to Robert Robb and Mary Johnston, but he needs to confirm that by getting some certificates. Robert and Mary were married in New Deer in 1832. In the 1851 the family are at Backhill of Bulwark, Old Deer, headed by Robert, head, married, 46, born Old Deer. In 1861 he was 55. so he must have been born between 1804 and 1806. He died in Old Deer in 1896, and his parents were John Robb and Mary Birnie, who were married in Old Deer in 1791.

Yours goes back to James Robb and Grace Johnston. They were married in Lonmay in 1812. In 1851 the family are at Fernibrae, Rathen, headed by James, head, widower, age 74, born Rathen. So if the census is accurate James was born in 1776/1777.

And there the trails begin to go cold.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 03 June 18 21:08 BST (UK) »
Here is a copy of a death announcement which will be of interest to you Andy!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 03 June 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
The entry in the burial register for Old Deer, which gives the burial location in relation to other graves, reads:

28th February Robert Robb from
Bulwark Old Deer Laid under
Andrew Birnie L. S. near Rettie
Pundereraft Enclosure

I wonder if "Pundereraft" = Pundlercroft?

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 June 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look there sometime & see if I can find a headstone for Robert!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline VelkyAl

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.fuggled.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
Now, some speculation.

George Robb is probably the one born in New Pitsligo on 28 May 1869, parents Alexander Robb and Jane Sheriffs. New Pitsligo is in the parish of Tyrie, and in 1881 there's a family there at 44 High Street
Alexander ROBB   M   44    M   New Deer, Aberdeen, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Clothier & Tailor
Jane S ROBB   M   41    F   Old Deer, Aberdeen, Scotland
   Rel:   Wife
Alexander ROBB       15    M   Old Deer, Aberdeen, Scotland
   Rel:   Son
   Occ:   Apprentice Tailor
George ROBB       11    M   Tyrie, Aberdeen, Scotland
   Occ:   Scholar
Mary Jane ROBB       7    F   Tyrie, Aberdeen, Scotland
   Rel:   Daur
John ROBB       9    M   Tyrie, Aberdeen, Scotland
William ROBB       5    M   Tyrie, Aberdeen, Scotland
Elizabeth S. ROBB       3    F   Tyrie, Aberdeen, Scotland
   Rel:   Daur
Andrew ROBB       1    M   Tyrie, Aberdeen, Scotland

While we're speculating.....

My great-grandmother was Joan Robb Ogston, born in New Pitsligo in 1873. Given the Scots "tradition", for want of a better word, of giving an illegitimate child their father's surname as a middle name, is it possible that Alexander Robb senior in the list above was her father?
Reece/Reese, Scott, Cassie, Paine, Ogston, Calder, Chant, Thompson, Castle, Moyse, Prince, Springett, Cadger, Philip, Rennie, Cooper, Steineke, Kaiser, Hallett, Ford, Killoh, Hepburn, Torry, Ingram, Robertson, Norrie,  Mudford, Spore, Lane, Virgin, Davis, Hendy, Stone, White