Author Topic: Northumberland Stonemasons  (Read 751 times)

Offline SarahEliza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northumberland Stonemasons
« on: Sunday 01 January 17 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if anyone could help. Are there any stonemasonry records (in existence) from the 1800s, which detail the names of stonemasons that worked on specific projects, please? It seems a 'long shot', but I thought I'd ask.

My ancestor William Beldon (who was born in 1858 in Newcastle upon Tyne) was a stonemason. He died of phthisis, which was apparently connected to his job. His father and grandfather were also stonemasons. His grandfather (also William Beldon) was born in 1809 in the village of Longhorsley in Northumberland.

I read an article about a stone bridge in another Northumberland village that was worked on by a number of stonemasons in the 1800s and the name Beldon was mentioned. It's also possible that W. B. (b.1809) may have worked in Dumfriesshire, but I can't find much comprehensive info. I imagine that a lot their work still survives, which is a nice legacy. I'd like to find out more.

Many Thanks.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Stonemasons
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Just marking my interest in this thread as I have a stonemason in Masham, North Yorkshire active c1790-1851 and I don't know where he came from (he dies just before the 1851 census so don't have  a place of birth)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.