Author Topic: Francis NUGENT - Hackney 1800's need help with a long term brick wall  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Ali Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Francis NUGENT - Hackney 1800's need help with a long term brick wall
« on: Sunday 01 January 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Have a real mystery that I would appreciate any help with - looking for any records for a Francis Nugent - cannot find any birth,marriage or death records for him - this is what I know from ancestry - he was born in about 1788 and married to a Mary - he had 5 children Catharine ( b 1806) Eleanor ( b 1810) Mary Ann ( b 1816) Thomas ( b 1821) and James (b1822)
 in 1823 tax records show him paying rent in the Chuch Street area of Hackney St John . On 12 Sept 1824 he and Mary were witnesses to his daughter Catharine's marriage to William Watson at the parish chapel St Pancras Middlesex . In 1839 she married again and Francis is shown as her father occupation Land Steward but witnessed by Mary not him. In 1843 Thomas marries and father shown as Francis described as gent. On the 11th Sept 1843 James marries and father shown as Francis - gardener - deceased . In 1850 james applies for money under poor laws and in that it says his mother Mary died about 6 years before ( 1844 ish) and his father Francis died when he was a child.
 Any ideas for how I can find more about him or Mary ? they lived around the Hackney /Barking area of London , Middlesex
Nugent - Barking/Hackney
Utley/Hawley Yorkshire
Apperley Herefordshire
Constantine London and Lancs.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Francis NUGENT - Hackney 1800's need help with a long term brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

Possible death for Mary
March qtr 1844
Mary NUGENT   
Hackney    3   148

new GRO index has age as 59
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ali Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks very much for looking - that is her but don't think I am going to learn any more with that certificate if I got it - what do you think ? , It is Francis her husband who is a blank - he is on land tax in Hackney in the 1800's but believe he died between 1828 and 1839 ( in his son's James born 1822  application for help it states that Francis died when James was young )
I have been looking for two years for any records - even been to the records office for Hackney but short of going through every record for every year not sure how I am ever going to find him - full member on ancestry and nothing on there
Nugent - Barking/Hackney
Utley/Hawley Yorkshire
Apperley Herefordshire

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
A Francis Nugent married Polly Hayward at St Georges Hanover Square on 12 Aug 1805.  Witness was Martha Hayward. 

Polly is often a pet name for Mary, and as their first child was born 1806 the date certainly seems to work.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:32 GMT (UK) »
The only burial I can find is in 1827 at Newington, St Mary - Francis Nugent of Cross Street, East Lane, aged 64.   

However, as this is from a transcript it may be worth obtaining a copy of the original to check the age, particularly as the transcriber couldn't make out the exact date of burial.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Ali Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
 :D I cant believe it - thanks so much - I discounted Polly as I didn't know that about it being a derivative of Mary - never heard that and not found that burial despite years of looking
Thank you so so much 
Nugent - Barking/Hackney
Utley/Hawley Yorkshire
Apperley Herefordshire

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 17 09:49 GMT (UK) »
The only burial I can find is in 1827 at Newington, St Mary - Francis Nugent of Cross Street, East Lane, aged 64.   

However, as this is from a transcript it may be worth obtaining a copy of the original to check the age, particularly as the transcriber couldn't make out the exact date of burial.

The parish register confirms age as 64, date of burial is 11th November 1827, residence as above

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Mary's death certificate would only show address where she died and name and abode of informant so probably not that much help for this search.

Just spotted this - what happened to their Mary Ann -there is no age on the baptism I did wonder if it was an adult baptism or was Mary A already married

Mary Ann Nugent
Baptism Date   23 Oct 1839
Father's name   Francis Nugent occ Grocer
Mother's name   Polly Nugent
Clerkenwell St James

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 January 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

[ For the notes pile ]

Whilst doing something else, found . . . . .

HO107 / 323 / 141 / p28

Wellington Buildings, "Case"? Street, Barking . . .  Axe Street, yes as per page 1

// Eleanor Watson 28 y (No Occ)

Eleanor 3 y

Mary 1 y

// James Nugent 20 y ("Shury" Maker). . . . . . . . . . . . . . Thos (Thomas), ok

I'd be interested what anyone makes of "Shury"?  . . . . .  SPRING, ok

Ray
[ Oh yes, Happy New Year! ]
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).