Author Topic: Emile Lacas - 1921 - Montreal  (Read 709 times)

Offline stephrobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emile Lacas - 1921 - Montreal
« on: Sunday 01 January 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My friend's father came to UK with Canadian Armed Forces during WWII.
He met & married my friend's mother in 1941 in UK - at that time he was aged 22, & his father was Joseph LACAS, a hotelier.  They had 3 children, then we think he returned to Canada @ 1945/46 & lost touch with the family.  His wife remarried in 1952 by which time she had a 3 children with her future husband, all registered with the name LACAS - I assume it took a number of years to obtain a divorce.

I have searched the 1921 census on Ancestry & have found Emile LACASSE b 1919 with father Joseph b 1896 in census District 175 Laurier Ward Montreal, 982 Henri Julien.

Would anyone be able to do a look-up for me please so I would have more details?

And is it likely that LACAS is the same as LACASSE?

Thanks
Cradley, Halesowen, Rowley Regis
ATTWOOD, BARNSLEY, BAYLISS, BEASLEY, BRIDGEWATER, COPESTICK,  COX, CRUMPTON, FENDALL, HARPER, HARRIS, HODGETTS, HOMER, INGRAM, PARSONS, POUND, ROBINSON, SMART, SOUTHALL, SOUTHWELL, STOKES, WESTWOOD, WHITE

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emile Lacas - 1921 - Montreal
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Honore Emile LACAS, son of Joseph LACAS & Germaine LACASSE was baptised 30 Sep 1919 at St-Denis Parish, Montreal (best guess at translation).  Age is right plus name of father.  See Drouin Collection on Ancestry.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 17 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

1921 Canadian census, Laurier Ward, 982 Henri-Julien

Lacasse, Joseph, chef (head), age 26, b. Quebec, parents b. Quebec, occ. typographe,
Lacasse, Gabraine (corrected to Germaine), epouse (wife), age 20, b. Quebec
Lacasse, Emile, fils (son), age 1, b. Quebec
Lacasse, Madeline, fille (daughter), age 1/12, b. Quebec
All are Cath R. (Roman Catholic)

Cheers,
DB

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Lacasse, s/o Honorius Lacasse and Albertine Gingras to Germaine Lacasse d/o Eugene Lacasse and Eleanor Poirier  10 Dec 1918 Montreal.

1919 baptism of Emile refers to his grandfather Honore.  Honorius would be the Latinized version.

Germaine Lacasse baptized 03 Feb 1899 under Marie Delpine Germaine Lacasse with father noted as Joseph Eugene Lacasse.

Honore Lacasse, s/o Honore Lacasse and ? Labelle to Albertine Gingras, d/o ? Gingras and Celina Labelle  09 NOv 1891 Montreal

Offline stephrobinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much

This is brilliant to get so much info so quickly.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Cradley, Halesowen, Rowley Regis
ATTWOOD, BARNSLEY, BAYLISS, BEASLEY, BRIDGEWATER, COPESTICK,  COX, CRUMPTON, FENDALL, HARPER, HARRIS, HODGETTS, HOMER, INGRAM, PARSONS, POUND, ROBINSON, SMART, SOUTHALL, SOUTHWELL, STOKES, WESTWOOD, WHITE

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Joseph's occupation listed at time of marriage, Emile's birth & 1921 census all equal to printer.  No match with hotelier as given by Emile at his marriage.

Emile was almost certainly serving with the Van Doos as they are called in English Canada.  The Royal 22nd Regiment as they are more correctly called.  22 in French is vingt deux.  They shipped from Canada to the UK in December 1939 and served overseas until 1946.

Offline Blacasse

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi... My Grandfather fits that description, Émile Lacasse (Lacas - last name of his dad) born September 29, 1919... He did indeed go overseas for the second world war, we know he had a kid(s) there (we thought they wee just a rumor till we came across this post lol), He came back here to Québec, Canada and took his moms last name (Germaine Lacasse / Born: 2 Feb 1898 Québec)… he went on to get married and had 4 sons, he died in 1968 from a Heart attack... Please reply, I'd love to know more about your friend :)