Author Topic: Help to get further back with my x5 great grandfather  (Read 2535 times)

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help to get further back with my x5 great grandfather
« on: Sunday 01 January 17 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Evening all,

I'm hoping for some advice or help with getting further back with my x5 great grandfather George Barker please.  He was baptised in Cheadle in 1751 and died in 1815.

My problem is, there were 2 George Barker's baptised in March 1751, within a few days of each other. One was the son of Thomas and Hannah and the other the son of George and Ann.

Is this one brick wall I'll never break down?

I look forward to any replies.

Thanks, Helen

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to get further back with my x5 great grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen

Just a minor suggestion -- It might be useful for you if a name were in your heading.

In a similar situation I would follow back on both lines and see if there was something that connected one to my folk -- such as repeating children's names in future gens. Or obvious death of one of the children baptised etc. or family moving to china or some such. ;D

Kind regards
phenolphthalein

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 17 01:57 GMT (UK) »
You could also see if the occupation of the sons  followed that of the fathers.

Also. did either of them leave a will? The children may be mentioned in them, hopefully.
What about the fathers of the two George's wives? They too may have left wills and mentioned their sons in law, or their grandchildren which you could  match up.

Good luck!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 17 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Not sure that this will work, but you could try to group all Barker baptisms in Cheadle that could be siblings and try to track their marriage and children forwards to the 1851 census to see if their residence separates them (1841 is often not specific enough, but you might get lucky).  I notice George buried in 1815, his abode was Moberley (sic) = Mobberley.  Do the baptisms provide abode?

Best wishes
Dion
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 17 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I don't wish to sound negative, but it's possible that neither baptism is the right one. The age on his burial record might not be accurate, or he may have been born in another parish. With a common name it's hard to be sure. Your best hope is if he's named in a relative's will.

I have a similar situation with a John Hopkins on my family. I've come to accept that I'll probably never know who his parents are.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 17 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes working forward instead of backwards works for me. Look at other baptisms at that church for both sets of parents so that you find possible siblings for your George. Then look for marriages of these siblings in that area, their children's baptisms, marriages etc until you can either discount them or they fit into your tree. It doesn't always work but sometimes proving someone isn't who you are looking for is as useful as finding someone who is.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Just checking this is Cheadle in Staffordshire? - you have posted it on the Staffs board.
There is also a Cheadle in Cheshire. Dionysus has found a burial of a George Baker in Mobberley - which is 10 miles from Cheadle, Cheshire, but 45 miles from Cheadle Staffordshire.
This will make a difference as to which set of wills you might look at, although both Cheshire and Staffordshire wills (Staffordshire ones come under the Lichfield set), are on findmypast now.
You could also try looking on National Archives Discovery to see if there is any mention of them there.

Of course Thomas and George, who both had a son named George in 1751, could both be the sons of their father George ............... Have you looked for any other children for Thomas and George, and then calculated a rough year for both Thomas and George's births?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies :)

I traced all the potential siblings for both George Barker's a while back but not yet found marriages for both sets of parents. I've not yet traced marriages for the potential siblings though yet so I shall do that next.

I agree wills will be the best thing to find but I haven't been successful with these so far.

Goldie, yes, I do mean Cheadle, Staffs. I know there is a Mobberley in Cheshire but there is also a Mobberley on the edge of Cheadle, Staffs. It's tiny with only a few houses. It's only a 10 min walk away from my house. The Barker family home in Mobberley  was known as 'Raddlestitch or Raddlestick'  There is a property in Mobberley today called Raddlestitch farm...but the owner annoyingly seemed unsure 're the age of property but I was thrilled all the same to see the name sign!

Offline Alec Barker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 November 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm also stuck with the 2 Georges of 1751. There is also a death of a George the next year.
George bapt 1751 was son og George who married Ann Murphin in 1732 at Caverswall. The other George was son of Thomas & Hannah - this Thomas was son of Alexander bapt cc 1702.
Alec Barker