Author Topic: Help to get further back with my x5 great grandfather  (Read 2539 times)

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help to get further back with my x5 great grandfather
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 November 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alec,

It's great to hear there's someone else out there with the same predicament!  Thanks also re George and Ann's marriage and Thomas' father.

Yes, I've seen the death of George Barker in 1752. I've assumed this is Ann's husband as there are no further baptised children for George and Ann after 1751. Also, if it was a child being buried, it would of being written as ' George Barker, son of .... and.... the same as other child deaths were recorded in the Cheadle register at this time.

Annoyingly, I can only trace forward the 1 George Barker born in 1751 and not the other one????!

Do you descend from a child of George Barker?

Thanks again for the reply.
Helen

Offline Alec Barker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 November 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I can get back with some certainty to William and Rebekah living at Upper Tean. I am descended from their son Thomas Barker bapt 1827 who married Sarah Goodall. Williams death Certificate dated 9th Feb 1853 gives his age as 64 years. This enabled me to eliminate several other possible Williams' and put him as the son of George bapt Cheadle in 1751.
Unfortunately, there are two Georges baptised in March 1751 -so what follows is guesswork. One was the son of George and Ann the other of Thomas and Hannah. Thomas was a taylor age 34 and a widower when he married by Licence in 1737. He was baptised 27 June 1702 the son of Alexander.
The other George bapt 1751 was the son of George and Ann who I think were married in 1732 as there is a child Mary bapt in 1733. This latter George was bapt in 1710 and his father was Ralph also known as Radi or Radulphus son of Thomas. 33.
By the way 'Ireland' is a place called The Island - where William and Rebecca lived.
I have a poor transcript of Cheadle Parish Registers as it gives no witnesses. Recently 'family search' have included earlier records of Cheadle on their site going back into the1600.
How are you related to William & Rebecca ?.
Regards
Alec

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 November 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alec,

I descend from William and Rebekah's son John, who was born on the 29th Jul 1822 and baptised at Checkley on the 25th Aug 1822.  He married Sarah Whieldon on the 13 Sep 1856 at Alton.

I also have William and Rebekah/Rebecca's death certs.

You mention having a poor transcript of Cheadle parish registers as it gives no witnesses. What do you mean by this?

I didn't know familysearch now has entries dating back to the 1600s.  I shall have a look at that, so thank you!

I'm currently having a good look at all the children of George and Ann and Thomas and Hannah.... hopefully we can knock down our brick wall one day!

Best Regards
Helen

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 November 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
The image for William (tape weaver) and Rebekah's marriage is available on FindMyPast - 29 November 1813 at Checkley.  Rebekah's name has been transcribed as Rebeka Wood.  Both made their mark, and the witnesses were William Hall (possibly a church official) and John Walton, both said to be of Checkley.

Added:  it is under "Staffordshire Banns" rather than "Staffordshire Marriages"  :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 November 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi BumbleB,

Yes, I've seen their marriage entry. I think you're right about William Hall being a church official as his name is on quite a few marriage entries.  Thanks for looking though.  Any chance you know who George Barker's parents were? lol x

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 November 17 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I have no connections with the Barker family, or even Staffordshire (other than I live in the county).  :D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 November 17 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Aww, yes I know, I've just noticed you're a regular poster and super helpful on here!

Thanks again  :)