Author Topic: Seeking help to find the birthplace of Elizabeth Oates/Oakes/Oaks  (Read 617 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Seeking help to find the birthplace of Elizabeth Oates/Oakes/Oaks
« on: Monday 02 January 17 06:06 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out where Elizabeth Oates/Oakes/Oaks was born

I have her marrying James Sawyer 1 June 1823 at Stoke on Trent. Both sign with a mark, and in the register, her name is spelt Oaks.

In 1834, their son David is baptised, and she is named as the daughter of James and Charlotte Oates, see below:
No 99 David the son of James Sawyer, Sneyds Green in the Parish of Burslem in the County of Stafford Union and of Elizabeth his wife, who was the daughter of James and Charlotte Oates was born  on the thirtieth day of July in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and Thirty four . And was solemnly baptised with water, in the name of the Father, of the Son,  and of the Holy Ghost, on the eleventh day of August in the year of Our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and Thirty four by me Mr Walsh

In the 1841 census at Burslem, Staffordshire, she is shown as born in county, HO107/bk 14/987/10/24

In the 1851 census, she is shown as born Ashby de la Zouche, Leicester, HO107/2003/600/23

1861 RG9/1931/124/18, again shows Ashby de la Zouche as birth place.

1881 RG11/2733/152/1 shows Leicester as the birthplace.

Just to add to the confusion, the baptism of the second daughter, Isabella, 5 Feb 1826, shows Elizabeth’s name as Birchnall, as below:
Name:         Isabella Sawyer
Baptism/Christening Date:   Female
Baptism/Christening Place:Bethesda Chapel Albion Street-Methodist New Connexshe,Shelton,Stafford
Father's Name:      James Sawyer
Mother's Name:      Elizth. Birchnall
As per England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Any assistance would be very gratefully received.

A Chesters

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help to find the birthplace of Elizabeth Oates/Oakes/Oaks
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
The new GRO index shows that her maiden name was OAKES for the last two births.

Presumably her parents were James and Charlotte Oakes who had other children in the area.

Perhaps she was born in Ashby, where they lived for a time, but baptised in Trentham as Family search - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NRM2-V9Q

David

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help to find the birthplace of Elizabeth Oates/Oakes/Oaks
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 00:18 GMT (UK) »
David, thank you very much for that information.

I asked for help, as this family is most confusing, and has caused much anguish as I have tried to sort it out.

I will have to revise the paternity of Elizabeth as a result, but that happens sometimes as one sorts things out.

Again, many thanks for that

AC