Author Topic: Collins and Collings Surnames Bennington and Walkern  (Read 2095 times)

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Collins and Collings Surnames Bennington and Walkern
« on: Monday 02 January 17 08:06 GMT (UK) »
I am currently compiling data of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials for the above mentioned places in Hertfordshire for the COLLINS and COLLINGS surnames. I have compiled data as early as the 1720s. If there is anyone here that is or has researched these surnames in these areas would love to hear from you.

I am trying to put families together to determine who is the parents of my husbands second gr grandfather, Richard Collins born abt 1794 and married in 1819 to Jemima Edwards.

Sharon
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Offline Nicky Pearson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Collins and Collings Surnames Bennington and Walkern
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
hi Sharon,
I am too researching collins in Hertfordshire. I have only used records on Ancestry as I am located in Canada and cant afford all the certificate prices from the UK.

9th GGF - William, b abt. 1620 that married a Jane Kidley at St Mary, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England in 1647.

their child Richard my 8th Great Grandfather. born in willian, Herts in 1663
his son, another Richard, my 7th GGF, born 1687 in Willian.  Married to alice williams.
then my 6th GGF William Collins
1722–1787
Birth 1722 • Walkern Hertfordshire
Death 1787 • Walkern Hertfordshire, England

5th GGF
Richard Collins (m. Sarah Pond)
1746–1780
Birth 1746 • Walkern.Hertfordshire.England
Death 03/02/1780

4th GGF, married Honour Griffin
Joseph Collins
1772–
Birth 1772 • Walkern, Hertfordshire, England
Death Unknown

3rd GGF
Samuel Collins
1807–1865
Birth MAR 1807 • Wavendon, Buckinghamshire
Death DEC 1865 • Highgate / Hornsey Middlesex

would love to see if we have any connections!
Happy New Year from Canada!

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 17 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I believe I am descended from an Emma Collins who was born in Bennington in 1846.  Emma went on to marry a Jonathan Beadle and they lived in a nearby village called Watton-at-Stone and had a very large family.

There is another Emma Collins born in Bennington in 1848 and I have not been able to rule her out as the Emma Collins in my tree.

The 1846 Emma does seem to tie in more with the census entries though!

Best wishes

Tom

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky and Tom

Thanks for replying.

I am still transcribing burial data for Benington and Walkern. My hope is to put all the information together and connect people to the correct parents, correct baptism, correct marriage and correct burial. It is quite an undertaking but hoping to resolve the issue of the parents and birth information for Richard Collins born 1794.

Nicky, I have so far listed all of the baptisms of children I have found for Richard and Sarah (Pond) Collins. I have only found their marriage banns Nov to Dec 1769. My husbands Collins line could meet up with this line but at this time it is difficult to say.

Tom, I have 2 different Emma Collins born in 1846. Both only list a mother in the baptism record. No father. One was baptised 15 March the other 27 May. March 15 Emma mother is listed as Mary Ann Collins. The 27 May Emma mother is listed as Emma Collins. Both baptised in Benington. I cannot say at this time if they lived to adulthood as I mentioned above still going through the burials. I also have 3 other Emma Collins baptised in 1841, 1848 and 1849. These baptisms lists the parents.

Once I finish the burial data my plan is to match any children who were buried to baptisms to know which ones survived until adulthood.

All the best
Sharon
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Offline exessexgirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My lovely Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon.
I have been researching the surname Collins / Collings for a long time. Richard Collins & Jemima Edwards are my 4x great Uncle and Aunt. Richard Bapt 25 May 1788 Benington Hertford, son of George Collins & Jane Lowen. George Collins Baptd 13 Apr 1755 Walkern Hertford. Surname spelt COLLINS on record. Marriage to Jane,  surname spelt COLLINS, Groom Parish -Bennington. Jane died c1789, buried 07 Jun 1789 Bennington. Surname spelt Collings.

2nd marriage for George to Sarah Warren St Peter Bennington. Sarah a widow. George dies c 1828 Date of burial: 09 Jul 1828. Age at death: 75 yrs.

Regards Lyn.

exessexgirl :)<br />
White, Curtis, Lockyer, Drew - St. Pancras
Collins & Catlin of Benington / Ardeley Herts,
Collins, Dunkley, Poole,  of Hackney, Edmonton,Shoreditch
Allens, Clapham,  of Islington.
DeAth.... of Shoreditch.
Gladden & Laker of Shoreditch / Bethnal Green
Bibbys, Smith, Webb, Buckley  of  Essex
Blessed and Wade Spalding Lincolnshire
Pullen, Weedon & Skipps of Hackney and Essex.
Danahar of Bethnal Green
Caddy - Stafford

Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon.
I have been researching the surname Collins / Collings for a long time. Richard Collins & Jemima Edwards are my 4x great Uncle and Aunt. Richard Bapt 25 May 1788 Benington Hertford, son of George Collins & Jane Lowen. George Collins Baptd 13 Apr 1755 Walkern Hertford. Surname spelt COLLINS on record. Marriage to Jane,  surname spelt COLLINS, Groom Parish -Bennington. Jane died c1789, buried 07 Jun 1789 Bennington. Surname spelt Collings.

2nd marriage for George to Sarah Warren St Peter Bennington. Sarah a widow. George dies c 1828 Date of burial: 09 Jul 1828. Age at death: 75 yrs.

Regards Lyn.

Hi Lyn

Thank you for your reply. I am still untangling the Collins/Collings of Benington and Walkern areas of Hertfordshire.

Richard and Jemima Collins are my husbands gr gr grandparents.  There are a few things that I feel are incorrect with listing Richards parents as George and Jane (Lowen) Collings or Collins. One is if you look at the 1841 census it has Richards age as 44 this would give him a birth year of about 1797. I know ages can be off on census'. Two I have found Richards burial record. He was buried 23 November 1841, burial record states age as 47. This would make his birth year 1794/95 depending on month of birth. I have also obtained Richard's death certificate and he died on 17 November 1841 and again his death certificate states he was 47. Now there is many people who have linked Richards death to the death index for July Aug Sep quarter of 1841 this is incorrect as that is his and Jemima's youngest son Richard who died as an infant, he was buried 12 July 1841 age 1. Richard (SR) is indexed and his death certificate states the name Richard Collin the s being left off. The informant being the coroner since Richard died as a result of an accident in Bengeo Hertfordshire. I have yet to find any further information on his death.

Next step of questioning parents as George and Jane is that yes there was a Richard Collings christened on 25 May 1788 and parents are George and Jane Collings. However, I have found Richard Collings infant who was buried 14 November 1788. The burial record does not indicate parents but does states Richard Collings was an infant. Until I can find actual evidence that connects Richard Collins (1794-1841) I have not listed them as his parents and since Jane died 1789 it is unlikely she was his mother

Jane was buried on 7 June 1789. As you stated George married for a second time to Sarah Warren. They had a daughter Sarah christened 9 Feb 1794 burial 4 May 1795. Sarah (Warren) Collins burial 3 April 1795. I have uncovered another marriage for George. He married for the 3rd time to Priscilla Brett on 20 October 1796 she was buried on 18 October 1825. George buried on 9 July 1828.

To me Richard Collins (1794-1841) lineage cannot be confirmed. Therefore I am trying to match Collins/Collings families together using Parish records. Making connections etc. It requires a lot of work but I am getting there. I am hoping to finally find where Richard might fit in with a family somewhere. BUT I feel we may never be able to confirm his parents.

If you have any information or actual documents that makes my research incorrect please let me know.

Sorry for the long post!! :-\
Sharon

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Lyn

I had a theory on trying to find Richards Parents. So decided to look for any Richard christened in the 1790s in Benington. I used the birth year 1794 and +/- 5 years. This gave me two records. One for a Richard Gant with two parents. The other a Richard Warren christened 14 August 1791 natural son of Sarah Warren. No father listed. Now I am wondering if this is Richard who married Jemima and that he was born out of wedlock. To add another puzzle to the mix there is also a christening for a Thomas Collings natural son of Sarah Warren on 28 March 1790. Your thoughts?

Sharon