Author Topic: Marriage Duffey to Mullany 1852 Stcokport but which church?  (Read 1626 times)

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Duffey to Mullany 1852 Stcokport but which church?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 January 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Only certain places of marriage upto 1898 could register their marriages

http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/marriageinfo.php

explains that the entry found could be civil, non conformist or Catholic.  To find the place of marriage you would need the certificate

M

Many thanks to you all, you've filled in a lot of gaps today.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 January 17 12:39 GMT (UK) »
St Michael's Catholic Church, Stockport, which was in Cheshire at the time, was where my Gt gt g'parents married in 1858. The bride was Irish & RC.

Cheshire BMD record it as a civil marriage but I found it on the Familysearch site's   "England, Cheshire Non-Conformist records 1671-1900 Index"

Hope this is helpful :)
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 January 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
...meant to say, they also lived in Heaton Norris  :)

Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 January 17 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Well, they were both Irish immigrants
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 January 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I wonder if there was a small Irish community in the Heaton Norris area...the bride I referred to was a Clare woman who made the move from Ireland for employment and subsequently married a local.

I had a quick look for the marriage of your John & Ann without success, but found the baptisms of 3 of their children at St Michael's, Stockport. Do you have those already?

annmck

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 January 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I wonder if there was a small Irish community in the Heaton Norris area...the bride I referred to was a Clare woman who made the move from Ireland for employment and subsequently married a local.

I had a quick look for the marriage of your John & Ann without success, but found the baptisms of 3 of their children at St Michael's, Stockport. Do you have those already?

annmck

I haven't searched for children in the parish records yet but I think I have them all in the civil registrations (with some crazy spellings of the Mullaney surname). Which do you have out of interest? I have Peter as the first.

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 January 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Eugene, male, bap. 16 August 1857; Mary Ann, female, bap. 3 October 1858;

Thomas, male, bap. 3 March 1861

All baptised at St Michael's, Stockport  ;D