Author Topic: Rendal/Rendel/ Randall family  (Read 4084 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rendal/Rendel/ Randall family
« on: Monday 02 January 17 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My 3 x great grandfather was Captain James Johnson born in Mull 1804-bef 1861. He married Williamina Crawford born in Lerwick in 1814 in 1832 (Sandwick church) and they had 10 children in Shetland.

James's mother was Barbara Rendal (or numerous other spellings) 1774-1859 and she was born in Yell and buried in Sandwick. So far so good.

On the death certificate of James's wife Williamina, her mother was listed as Barbara Rendal. I have always assumed that this is a mistake and that the witness who was Williamina's son got the wrong side of the family and listed his father's mother. The family had moved to Portobello in Edinburgh and so the links back to Shetland could have got blurred.
In 1861 Williamina was a widow living in Lower Chanerwick and there was a 'pauper' lodger living with her called Jane Rendal b.1780 in Whalsay. I am now wandering if the name on Williamina's death certificate was only partly a mistake and if her mother was Jane Rendal? There wouldn't have been anything unusual if Williamina and James were cousins and their mothers were sisters, Barbara and Jane Rendal. It's a stretch but I can't stop thinking about it and wondered if anyone out there knew anything about the family.
Another link is that in 1851 Catherine Johnson b.1762 (unmarried) was living with the Rendal family in Yell.

I hope that someone recognises this family, it is driving me a bit mad!

Alison

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rendal/Rendel/ Randall family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Alison, are you familiar with Tony Gott's website,     www.bayanne.info/Shetland

Had some Rendal's myself but they were in Orkney!

Skoosh.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skoosh. I did look at it ages ago but had forgotten all about it - thanks
Alison

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 17 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison

I looked on Tony Gott's site and did not see any children born around or immediately after 1832.  Here is the site:  http://bayanne.info/Shetland/search.php?mybool=AND&myfirstname=&mylastname=Randall&imageField.x=18&imageField.y=10

Are you sure the children were born in Lerwick?? Of course they may have been but am wondering if you went to Scotland's People's site to search for them.  Do you have their names?  If so you might want to try looking up a couple there and make sure you have the correct birth place.  There is a charge to look up their actual birth certificate but it is a minimal charge.

Tony may have missed your ancestors but not to sure about that.  Let me know if you have tried Scotland's People site.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorrain
Thanks, I have had a look at the site and then I went on Scotlands People but with no luck. I am missing quite a few births even though the LDS  site has them but i am going up to Scotland next month and am going to ask the staff at the archives what I am doing wrong.
I really appreciate your help
Alison

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 17 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison

I would try to make an appointment with the Archives in Glasgow before you get there.  Here is how to contact them:  https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/about-us/contact-us

Not sure how busy they are now but with all the internet stuff appointments were necessary.  In Shetland, the name is spelled Randall but had other spellings too.

I hope you have a great time in Scotland.  Travel by train and bus are most accommodating even if one uses a walker.  My daughter and I went there in May of 2016 and enjoyed ourselves a great deal.    In Shetland stayed with one of my cousins and they drove us around a fair amount.  In Mainland Scotland we rented a car for three days - oh my gosh are the roads ever narrow - so drove around with white knuckles all the time we had it.  We then bused and trained the rest of the trip.  We did see many graveyards in Shetland but only saw one in Invergowrie which was very difficult to find. Luckily the gravestone has fallen down so was still readable.  It was a thrill to see the names of my 3x great grandfather and his wife!

Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 January 17 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Alison

Seems you did make a connection...Jane Rendel died in 1865 at 86 years.  She had been married he was a Colvin. Her parents were John Rendel and Agnes Robertson. The informant was John Johnson, nephew.

Send me a PM with your email and I will send you her death.

Don 

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 January 17 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!
PM on it's way

Offline Anja Muller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 April 17 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there

My 3rd great grandfather in captain James Johnson from Shetland. Seems we must be related somehow!   

Cheers
Anja