Author Topic: Chambers Surname DNA  (Read 1788 times)

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chambers Surname DNA
« on: Monday 02 January 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
A branch of the Chambers family from Hertfordshire lived as landed gentry in County Mayo, Ireland from the late 1600's to about 1800. Their Coat-of-Arms is the star on a chevron surrounded by three cinquefoils. This Chambers coat-of-arms can be found throughout the counties around London and in London proper. Apparently they are of Norman descent from the name "De la Chambre". Burke's Armory states that this particular County Mayo Chambers line comes from Hertfordshire.
YDNA test results of descendants of Chambers from County Mayo show they have a common patrilineal ancestor who was a Norwegian Viking. They test as haplotype "R1a" branching down to "YP1420", i.e., positively Norwegian.
That would be an unusual test result for a Norman Chambers. Chambers from England with Viking ancestry typically test as haplotype "I". Those without Viking descent are haplotype "R1b" (Western European or Celtic). Recent studies show that "R1a" in Norman surnames is extremely rare, perhaps 2%.
There were several "De la Chambre" lines and perhaps the Hertfordshire Chambers line is "R1a". There is also the possibility that there was a "non-paternal" event, something that happened to the most famous Chambers at a later century. (They are descendants of Sir Stepney.)
Have any male Chambers with Hertfordshire roots taken the yDNA test? I took my test with FTDNA but have no access to Oxford Ancestors or other testing group results.
Thank you.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers Surname DNA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know that Y-DNA test results were as specific as naming a country of origin ie Norway?
I didn't know that a Y-DNA test could specify "Viking" either. :-\

Anyway, what I wanted to ask was, have you looked on the Surname Interests Table for other Chambers researchers? You will find the SIT in the second column on the left in the dark panel at the bottom of the page.

Added:
Related threads in case different information is supplied and to prevent duplication of effort by any helpers:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=762084.msg6134698#msg6134698
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=762083.msg6134689#msg6134689
last post here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=533050.9

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip, Ruskie.
You are correct that yDNA haplotype doesn't in and of itself does not prove country of origin nor Viking ancestry. I do have a lot of historical research on my family and in general to fill in the blanks.
So far, YP1420, a sub-branch of R1a  is only found in Norway, Scotland and Ireland. There has been enough research on the subclades of R1a to strongly suggest Norwegian origin as opposed to Danish or... I am anxiously awaiting the test results on Rollo's descendants to see if he was Norwegian or Danish. The results were supposed to come out in Autumn of 2016.
The term "Viking" should more properly be "Settlers of Scandinavian Descent". The first pioneers could be called Vikings. mtDNA studies show they eventually brought their wives with them. I'll never know if my paternal ancestor carried a sword or a hoe or both when he walked off the boat.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with the project Timothy. I hope you manage to find some Hertfordshire Chambers.

One more thought - have you considered looking in the phone books and selecting some Chambers at random? If you are willing to pay for them, you never know. you might find someone willing to take on the challenge and have their DNA tested.

Lets hope for more people taking DNA tests - the more who test, the more accurate our results will be.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Chambre Chambers

http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/chambre-of-hawthorn-hill.html

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/chambre-calcot-1573-1635

CHAMBRE, Calcot (c.1573-1635), of Williamscote, Oxon. and Carnew, co. Wicklow

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=733091.0   John de la Chambre   Shropshire & Denbighshire

In Shropshire I have seen them recorded as both Chambre and Chambers.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info, Alderbury
I had researched that De la Chambre family before. It's huge throughout England, Wales and Ireland. However, their Coats-of-Arms do not match the Hertfordshire, Kent, London Chambers. Although it is strange that the same family has several different Coats-of-Arms.
The first Chambers I've found that had the star on chevron surrounded by three cinquefoils is Roger de la Chambre (or Chamber) from Northhamptonshire and Spratton.
Has anyone found any modern lines that descend from them?

Offline happymilly

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 17 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am a direct descendant from the Chambers line in Hertfordshire (back to John Chambers of Bishops Stortford born 22nd Nov 1699). My DNA shows R1b1b2a1a. Hope this helps.

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 March 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Happymilly
Yes, it does help. Thank you very much!
If I'm descended from the Hertfordshire Chambers then there was a non-paternal event. ( a Viking in the woodpile).
If you were R1a, it would have settled the matter once and for all.
Tim