Author Topic: Godwin Family of Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire  (Read 1030 times)

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Godwin Family of Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire
« on: Monday 02 January 17 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information with regard to my ancestor John Godwin b1752 Wyck Rissington ?(c/be Stowe on the Wold area) who married Elizabeth Clifford b1753 in Wyck Rissington in 1776.They had 7 children Joseph b 1782(my ancestor)Phebe b1787,Maryb1789,Jane b1779 d1783 Martha b1784 and Charles b 1791.At some time before 1805 the family moved to Taynton in Oxfordshire where Joseph married Joyce Eeles. They had 5children and lived at Paynes Farm.The eldest son George b 1806 was my Great  Great Grandfather. Any information on this family would be very welcome .Though I have information on the family from this stage I would be very interested to find out who John Godwin's parents were and what happened to the other children apart from Joseph and also Charles who I have information on. Thanks in  anticipation.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Godwin Family of Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 17:35 GMT (UK) »

Have you eliminated from the 1841 census

Wick Rissington

JONES

Stephen - 40-44 all born Gloucestershire
Jane : 40-44
Sarah : 19-23
Ruben  : 11
Leah : 10
John GODWIN :  85-89
Elizabth  GODWIN : 85-89

----

Gloucestershire Burial Index CD

Wyck Rissington

John GOODWIN - aged 89 - 4 December 1841
Elizabeth GODWIN - aged 95 - 28 May 1848

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Capetown .Yes I do have this entry for my John and Elizabeth. I think Jane Jones is another daughter or even Granddaughter. It is Johns parents I am looking for but seem to have hit a brick wall. His wife Elizabeth Clifford comes from the famous Clifford family of Stone Masons in Stowe on the Wold and I am a member of the Stowe Clifford Soc. Through them I have her family tree back to the 1500's.I have a copy of their marriage cert but it doesn't name their fathers.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 13:36 GMT (UK) »
My x Grandparents William & Mary BOWN owned and run the White Hart Stow on the Wold early 1800's (have their copy Wills).  Both buried in the local church at Stow

Their Son: William BOWN married Sarah CLIFFORD at Southrop, Gloucestershire 13 Aug 1803 - This couple than ran the White Hart until 1823 approx, when they moved to Birmingham.

If you Google

William BOWN/Sarah CLIFFORD - you will find the family tree.

Sarah CLIFFORD

Sarah was born 1782  - her parents were: Richard CLIFFORD and Elizabeth Turner HOPE

Richard CLIFFORD was born at Stow on the Wold Gloucestershire and they married 5 June 1765 at Wyck Rissington, Gloucestershire.

----
??
Gloucestershire Marriage Index CD

Marriage at Wyck Rissington 6 May 1816

Isaac JAMES of Guiting Power, Mary GODWIN

children christened at

Guiting Power, Lower Guiting, alias Lower St Michael

JAMES

Charles - 3 August 1817
George - 25 December 1825
Leah - 18 August 1822
Phillip - 6 February 1820

1841 Census, Guiting Power

JAMES

Isssac 50-54
Martha 80-84
Mary 50-54
James 12

1851 Census Guitings Power

Mary JAMES - 63 - born Stow on the Wold
Phillip
James  23

---

There is a Martha GOODWIN marrying George JAMES at Guitings Power
13 October 1808

1851 Census, Guiting Power

JAMES

George  :65 - born Guiting Power
Martha : 66 - born Wick
William  : son 32- born Guiting Power

---

The Glos Baptism Index starts after 1813

Baptims at Guitings

George (occ labourer) and Martha

Elizabeth - 12 March 1815
William - 28 September 1817
Joseph - 26 January 1823
Alexander - 27 August 1826

Family Search

Christening at Aston Blank, Glos

Ann JAMES - 28 December 1811 - parents George & Martha

Guitings Power

Charles JAMES - 10 June 1810
Isaac JAMES - 2 August 1812

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Capetown. My Elizabeth Clifford is the daughter of Joseph Clifford and Mary Griffin. He is the brother of your Richard. I have the tree back to 1598 and William Clifford and Mary. Do you belong to The Stowe Clifford Soc ?It is free and every month you receive a news letter from Betty Judge (Australia)who runs it. Information from all over the World regarding the Clifford family. I can Highly recommend even though it doesn't help me much with details about my Godwins. I think the James family are connected to my Godwins  as well but have not yet made a definite connection. Its difficult as there are quite a number of Godwins in and around Stowe. I think that the John and Elizabeth living with Steven and Jane Jones are connected but from their ages I would think they are likely to be Jane Jones(Godwin)Grandparents.On Jane and her sisters Sarah's Baptism it does give parents as John and Elizabeth living at Cutsdean but I think on the 1841 census there is a difference of 40yrs in ages so I think they are more than likely Grandparents.Then I have the problem of who Jane and Sarah's father John is .I haven't got a son John to John and Elizabeth. It gets confusing when it gets further back !!!