Author Topic: Colliery Worker in Porthmadog  (Read 1638 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colliery Worker in Porthmadog
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Should also confirm that the marriage for John Richard states 10 Railway Place.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
There's a reference here - http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3460254/3460259/33/ - to a letter in 1915 from Pte J R Jones of the 1-6th RWF regarding his time in the Dardenelles and move to Malta to convalesce from illness. this was to his mother Catherine Jones of Tabernacle St, Ebenezer (context suggests this is in Caernarfon area), so may be another man with the same initials

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Mabel
I can confirm he was a different man namely John Rowland Jones 1909 later 265607.

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 January 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
While a large number of North/Mid Wales men and families moved to the South Wales coalfields around beginning of 20th century, quite a few also 'commuted' leaving families at home and going South for a few weeks and returning frequently. At least three coal miners are recorded in Pennal on the 1901 census, including my great grandfather. Two of his sons later moved to South Wales permanently.

Some months ago there was a similar post on Cardiganshire site with someone from Borth area recorded as a coal miner in 1901 or 1911.

The reference to Maerdy is interesting. This village in Rhondda Fach seemed to be a magnet for Merionethshire men. A number of Dolgellau families migrated there with some men 'commuting' fairly regularly.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 January 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
The reference to Maerdy is interesting. This village in Rhondda Fach seemed to be a magnet for Merionethshire men. A number of Dolgellau families migrated there with some men 'commuting' fairly regularly.

Chwiliwr - where did you get the reference to Maerdy - have I missed something ?

Thanks
Nesta

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 January 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nesta

I think the reference to Maerdy is from my post. I had literally copied the name St Mardy from the Census return. It was the colloquial English name for the village/parish and is more commonly known in Welsh as Maerdy.
I concur with Chwiliwr about the commuting back and forth from South Wales to North Wales. My Taid's sister from Llanaelhaearn married a chap from Bryngroes but by 1891 had moved to Pontypridd. In the following Census's the daughters had returned to visit their Grandparents in Llanaelhaearn or to attend their Aunties wedding. Eventually they returned to live and marry in Llanaelhaearn.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 January 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Glynm

Yes I also agree with the commuting theory...my Blaenau Ffestiniog and Gardolbenmaen families did the same to and fro from South Wales and back I can track them in the censuses and then in living memory from my mum and her siblings.   One set of grandparents ended up back in Garn, and one set of G Grand parents in Bala but there were aunts and uncles who remained in South Wales and others who returned to Blaenau.

Nesta