Author Topic: McDonald,Byrne,Mangan,Ryan  (Read 1600 times)

Offline R.D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDonald,Byrne,Mangan,Ryan
« on: Monday 02 January 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I am wondering if there are living links to my grandmother.Alice McDonald. Kerikee ,Rathdrum,Wicklow.Born 1864.
Siblings. Anna 1865, Maria 1868, Patrick 1869, Michael 1872, Johannes 1876. Parents. Judy Byrne 1838, John McDonald/McDonnell /McDaniel's. My great grandparents were.Micheal Byrne and Anna Ryan and Patrick McDonald and Alicia Mangan. All same area . There is no record of any of the siblings traceable. Local folklore in the area says the family were evicted in the 1880s .Somehow my granny made her way to Co Offaly.I would love any information available.I feel there are links in Co Wicklow still but it would be needle in a hay stack stuff.
Thanks. R.D

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McDonald,Byrne,Mangan,Ryan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I am wondering if there are living links to my grandmother.Alice McDonald. Kerikee ,Rathdrum,Wicklow.Born 1864.
Siblings. Anna 1865, Maria 1868, Patrick 1869, Michael 1872, Johannes 1876. Parents. Judy Byrne 1838, John McDonald/McDonnell /McDaniel's. My great grandparents were.Micheal Byrne and Anna Ryan and Patrick McDonald and Alicia Mangan. All same area . There is no record of any of the siblings traceable. Local folklore in the area says the family were evicted in the 1880s .Somehow my granny made her way to Co Offaly.I would love any information available.I feel there are links in Co Wicklow still but it would be needle in a hay stack stuff.
Thanks. R.D
  Hello & welcome to Rootschat.  Have you looked at the 1901 & 1911 Censuses for Alices siblings www.nationalarchives.ie also has Griffith Valuation records & Tithe Applotment records.
If the family were RC the parish records are online free to search i.e Baptisms/marriages but you seem to know the siblings years of birth ? www.registers.nli.ie

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Ah just interested in the McDonnell/McDaniel name.
My McDonnells started off as McDaniel, it seems to have changed in the 1860s (I need to double check that), just wondered if you noticed when yours changed?
Mine were in Westmeath.

Offline R.D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
In answer to name change query. My lot started in early 1800s as McDonnell and became McDaniel in early 1860s and then very firmly McDonald there after which in their case was probably the correct name as they seem to have originated from McDonald clan in the Scottish Highlands brought over because of their shrewed farming skills.Hope this helps in some way. R.D

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
In answer to name change query. My lot started in early 1800s as McDonnell and became McDaniel in early 1860s and then very firmly McDonald there after which in their case was probably the correct name as they seem to have originated from McDonald clan in the Scottish Highlands brought over because of their shrewed farming skills.Hope this helps in some way. R.D

Interesting, thank you, I got the year of the change for my lot wrong last night, it seems to be very marked at 1886/87.
I have McDaniels back to 1828 than by 1887 they are all McDonnell and it appears to be the same for other McDaniel families in the area.
I know names change over time but it seems to be very marked with this name.
I'll a carry on watching out for it. Thanks.

Offline R.D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »
 Hi dathai.

Just to thank you so much for your links which showed me I had a great aunt extra to what I knew and now I have found 2 great uncles from my list on the 1911 census ,both working as servants in the town of Rathdrum . Have searched for so long for some trace and then I get 2 results so quickly. Sorry for delay in reply.

Thank you.  R.D