Author Topic: william walker daughters  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william walker daughters
« on: Monday 02 January 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find my great uncle daughters not sure where to start. here is the info I have .their names are Marjory and bella     I have looked on ancestory but some things are miising right now    William b. at Moss-side, Rafford on 15 Feb’1848. 1851 census has him there aged 2. Strangely he doesn’t appear with his parents in 1861 census. Perhaps
following his father’s death 2 years earlier & to help his mother, he may have been brought up by relatives.
1861 census shows a possible 12 year old “cattleboy” Wm at Whitefield, Midhillock where a John Walker was head, a farmer of 68 acres & aged 68 with his wife
Janet Walker, 61 (presumably relatives despite Wm being referred to as a “servant”?). Moray’s records reveal Wm’s wife as Anne McKenzie b. 1 Aug’1843.
1871 census shows Wm, 33 (I think that should be 23) at 26 Urquhart Street, Forres with Annie, 38 (I think that should be 28) along with children Mary J, 7;
Annie, 5; & Wm, 3. Wm. m. Ann McKenzie at Hopeman on 12 July 1872 when he was 24 from Urquhuish(?) while she was 27 from Hopeman.
1881 census has Wm,33, a mason, living at 26 Urquhart Street, Forres with his wife Ann,38 along with children: Mary J (7); Annie(5); Wm(3).
Other daughters were b. in Forres: Bella on 7 Jan' 1882 & Marjory on 12 Aug' 1884.
1891 census has Wm. 43, stone mason & Ann, 47 at 37 Urquhart Street with Mary J.,17; Wm. 13; Bella M. ,9 & Marjory, 6. Mary had become a dressmaker & Wm a
message boy.
1901 census has them at 21 Urquhart Street where Wm Snr, 53 is designed as a stone mason & along with wife Anne, 57 remain only Bella, 19, a domestic servant &
Marjory, 16, a dressmaker.
1911 census has Wm Snr, 63, still there with Ann, 67 & his daughter Marjory, 26. They’d been m. for 38 years & had had 7 children but only 2 then surviving. Wm
Snr d.14 Aug’1915 aged 67 at Urquhart Street; his death being reported by his daughter Marjory. He was designed as a mason, son of James Walker, crofter dec'd &
Helen Walker m.s. Smith dec'd. His wife Anne d. at Urquhart Street aged 79 on 13 May 1923. Both are buried in Plot 947 in Clunyhill Cemetery Forres.
Marjory emigrated, arriving in New York on 3 Nov' 1923 while Bella emigrated to Canada & then followed Marjory to U.S. arriving in Buffalo, New York on 23 June
1936. Her papers cited her sister as the contact & a cousin Andrew Reit??"
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: william walker daughters
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Raine

Am I correct in thinking that what you are looking for now is what happened to Marjorie and Bella after they arrived in the US, in 1923 and 1936 respectively?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
yes Monica if possible. I just found out about them
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Libindex has a death for Marjory Walker 11th March 1974 Point Pleasant Hospital New Jersey USA , father William Walker 21 Urquhart Street Forres.

http://death-records.mooseroots.com/l/100889990/Marjory-Walker

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
That is great, Ev :) Guess from the surname that Marjorie never married?

Re Bella Walker, Raine, I think she was already in the US by June 1911. There is a shipping manifest entry for her arriving in NY then. She gave her father's name and address back in Forres for contact details back in the UK. A further shipping entry for her on 21 Sep 1914 again arriving into NY.

Also a possible 1930 census entry for her working as a domestic servant in a family household in Manhattan NY.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 17 02:44 GMT (UK) »
ty ev and Monica for all the info 
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
There are naturalization records for Marjory that fit the date/place of birth and arrival in 1923.  A 1932 declaration of intent has a picture of her and says she was living at Hotel St. George, Clark St., Brooklyn, New York and was a library cataloguer.  A 1939 petition for naturalization says she was living at 501 West 113 St., New York, New York.  Her occupation was library cataloguer.  One of the witnesses was Margaret F. Walker, a teacher living at the same address, in case she is also a relative.

This appears to be her in 1930 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X765-B8D

The Social Security death index gives her place of last residence as Sea Girt, Monmouth Co., New Jersey and says her Social Security number was issued in New York in 1951.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 January 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »
There is an obituary for Marjory here - https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/145597575/

MARJORY WALKER SEA GIRT - Miss Marjory Walker, 89, of 534 Washington Blvd., died Monday at Point Pleasant Hospital. She came to this country from Scotland in 1922. She lived in New York City before moving here six years ago. She was the head librarian of the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen, New York City, for 35 years before retiring in 1959. The Robert C. Neary Funeral Home, Manasquan, is in charge of arrangements.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 January 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
There is also an obit for Marjory in the New York Times, which lists three cousins of hers.  One of them is Mrs. Richard N. Watts of Brielle, New Jersey.  From what I can tell, Mrs. Watts was Margaret Farquharson Watts, daughter of James F. Walker & Loretta McChesney.  She was born 30 Sep. 1914 in New York City and died 3 Oct. 2000.  Her obituary can be seen here - https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/144407128/  That may have been the Margaret who was a witness to Marjory's naturalization records.

One of the other cousins mentioned may still be living, so I can PM you the info if you want.