Author Topic: Ally KAVANAGH  (Read 1527 times)

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ally KAVANAGH
« on: Tuesday 03 January 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone if anyone can advise me please.

I have found a death for an Ally KAVANAGH on July 22nd 1820 in Enniscorthy. She was aged 1 year old.

I have tried to find her birth record back as far as 1818 but no success. I looked in the parish registers in the nli.ie database.

I wanted to find her parents and I am stumped as to what to do next. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Kindest regards,

Nora

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Ally KAVANAGH
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I have found a death for an Ally KAVANAGH on July 22nd 1820 in Enniscorthy. She was aged 1 year old.
I wanted to find her parents and I am stumped as to what to do next. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Ally Kavanagh, baptized Enniscorthy on June 3, 1820. Parents Ned K and Mary McDonnel.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

Thank you for your response. If the Ally KAVANAGH you found was the Ally that died on the 22nd July 1820, why would the burial register say she was 1 year old? This child was only about one and a half months old! That makes no sense to me. Unless they made a mistake at the chapel and put the 1 in the year column instead of the month column? Mistakes can happen I know. Just a thought. Thank you for all your help.

Kindest regards,

Nora

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
This child was only about one and a half months old! That makes no sense to me. Unless they made a mistake at the chapel and put the 1 in the year column instead of the month column?

If you look at the relevant page of the Enniscorthy deaths register, and the preceding and subsequent pages, you will see a substantial number of entries aged "1", but none less than one. From that I conclude that "1" should be read as one or under.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

The death record for Ally KAVANAGH that I read was the original church register, not the modern transcript. In the register it has columns for years, months and days. In the year column was the number 1, which I presumed was one year old. I did not realize they generalized about the time of death rather than being specific.

Thank you for pointing that out. Lesson learned on that one!

Kindest regards,

Nora

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

I did not realize they generalized about the time of death rather than being specific.

Kindest regards,

Nora

The person who wrote that Registar generalised , others may not, many don't bother writing ages and very few keep death registers at all.

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

I suppose I should be grateful I find anything at all in the way of burials. I just wish they had made things easier for the people coming along years later who want to trace their family tree!

Kindest regards,

Nora