Author Topic: Parents of Betty Butterworth, born Rochdale c1809  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Betty Butterworth, born Rochdale c1809
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 January 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Betty and Thomas had only one child, John, baptised 2 March 1834 at St James, Milnrow.  This is also where Thomas was baptised 9 Jan 1803, son of James and Mary Hurst of Laneside.  James Hurst of Butterworth and Mary Fielding of Castleton married at St Chad's 2 Aug 1796, the Parish Clerk being Luke Nield (a relative of P.C. D Nield?) at least I assume that's what P.C. stands for rather than police constable.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 January 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Since Thomas's father was called James, I am wondering whether Thomas and Betty might have called their son John after Betty's father instead.

Baptisms all at St Chad's (incidentally this is the parish church of Rochdale):

19 May 1807  Betty daughter of weaver John Butterworth and his wife Betty of Crook
26 Oct 1807   Betty daughter of stonemason John Butterworth and his wife Esther of Claylane
                      born 22 Sept 1807
20 Nov 1808   Betty daughter of carter John Butterworth and his wife Ann of Marland Mill

These are the closest to Betty's birth year, if her age given at death was correct, but it's just a shot in the dark!

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 January 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm revising Betty's year of birth, since I have now discovered that she was not 69, but 73 when she died.  This would make the probable year of birth 1805, and gives me another potential three sets of parents with father John, according to the Lancs opc.