Author Topic: Halliday, Moffat and Smith families of Moffat/ Wamphray 1700's  (Read 2221 times)

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Halliday, Moffat and Smith families of Moffat/ Wamphray 1700's
« on: Thursday 05 January 17 10:40 GMT (UK) »
After a break of a few years i'm back looking into my family history and have some gaps i'm looking to fill, namely where did siblings John Halliday ch. 17/9/1731 and Christopher Holliday (Halliday) ch. 2/7/1727 go?

The information I have so far:

- Both were baptised in Oldtown/ Auldtown, Moffat.
- Their parents were Nineon Holiday (Halliday) and Katherine Hunter.
- They had 2 further siblings; James who moved to Panlands farm in Johnstone parish and Jean who married William Leithhead of Moffat.

- John married Jean Moffat of the Craigbeck Moffats in 1776 and they had at least 3 children; William (1776), Ninian (1779) and James (1782).
- The last reference I have for John and Jean is their son James' baptism record of 1782 which places them at Oldton (Auldtown).

- Christopher married Jean Smith 2/12/1752 (Moffat parish)
- Christopher and Jean had 4 children; Cathrain (Katherine), Mary, Jean and Margaret
- Cathrain's baptism record (1755) places them at Frenchland - a farm near Moffat
- The last reference I have for Christopher and family is from their last childs baptism record (Margaret 1771) which places them in the parish of Crawford and Leadhills where they have been recorded through OPR's at Granes and Cowhill.
- There are no further records of Christopher and Jean or their children.

With the odd exception Christopher and John's family were buried in Moffat or Wamphray Churchyards. Jean Moffat's family were with the exception of one sister who is unknown were all buried at Moffat. Jean Smith's family is unknown.

Any help will be appreciated.
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline hallidah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Halliday, Moffat and Smith families of Moffat/ Wamphray 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a descendant of a James Halliday born in Wamphray in 1782 and I'm wondering if this is the same James you refer to.  He was a Stone Dyker, married Agnes Park in Sanquhar Nov 21, 1813, and died there in 1836.

My connection:
James and Agnes' son - Thomas Halliday (Iron Stone Miner) b. 1815 Sanquhar, d. 20/9/1867 Auchinleck.
Thomas m. Elizabeth Patterson - Children (born in Auchinleck): James (1834), Jean (1837), Robert (1839), Thomas (1841), George (1844), Richard (1847) and William (1850).
Jean came to Australia sometime before 1863 when she married a Scottish widower, James Blair, in Adelaide on Dec 25.  Richard and William came in 1875 and in 1880 Richard married Helen Blair, a daughter of James by his first wife Jane Moore.  Richard and Helen had one child, another Richard, but  father Richard died only months after his marriage and so never knew his son.  Helen then married Richard's brother, William, in 1883.
William and Helen's children - Hellen, Jane, Robert, Thomas, William and Harold (1898-1975). Harold was my grandfather. 
Any information on the original James would be appreciated.
Regards
Harold Halliday, Sydney, Australia

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 July 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Harold

Always glad to hear from another Halliday. I've checked my records and sadly they are different James'.

Yours looks like the son of Thomas Halliday and Elizabeth McLean born or baptised 31/12/1781. My James was the son of John Halliday and Jean Moffat born 6th Nov 1782. I'm going to have to dig through my records now to figure out where Thomas came from. This is the problem with genealogy. It gets addictive and I have to figure it all out!!! There may be a connection further back.
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline hallidah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
I agree that it addictive indeed!  It would be great to find the link and any further information you have would be appreciated.

Regards
Harold