Author Topic: 1847 Land Book Terms  (Read 2139 times)

Offline calcinare

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1847 Land Book Terms
« on: Thursday 05 January 17 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  The attached extract comes from an 1847 poor law rate book for Castleblayney.  The columns on the right are the standard A/R/P land terms.  I would appreciate any help with the below:

1) What does the term "farrick" mean that appears with the name James McMahon?
2) If a name appears twice, should I assume it is two different people rather than one person being associated with two separate plots of land?
3) Some people are referred to as "Mc" as part of their first name.  Does this mean "son of", or does it have some other meaning?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1847 Land Book Terms
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
My interpretations  :)

[1] I would think that 'farrick' is a way of distinguishing this James McMahon from another one  :-\

[2] I don't think that would be a wise assumption

[3] Originally yes, but once surnames became standardised I suspect they were passed on as they were.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
This is a very good piece on understanding Griffith's Valuation, I'd say it's much the same for the rate books.
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/Griffiths.PDF

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Interesting article, thanks for the link, Sinann.

Josey
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those too.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 17 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Was he otherwise known as that, Patrick?

Skoosh.

Offline calcinare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the GV article links, but after reading them it seems that the terms/style I am having trouble with are specific to the rate book. I have never come across a document like this where people were referred to as "Mc" as part of their first name, and so I am assuming that whatever was being done with the rate book was specific to it.  For example, the three Markeys would appear to be related, but why would one be referred to as McPatt if his name was actually Patrick/Patt?  If "Mc" was meant to mean "son of Patrick", then I would think that the creator would just use the man's actual name (fyi, no other Patrick Markey / senior appears in the townland). 

I think Josey is right about the "farrick" term as there are two James McMahons in the townland I pulled the extract from (fyi, the other just says "James McMahon").  I have no idea what "farrick" means though, and an internet search for once isn't turning up anything.  If the author was using this term to differentiate a father from a son, then that would probably mean that multiple appearances of a name like "Robert Eccles" would be referring to a single person associated with multiple parcels of land.  Does anything know if that word really means father/son or was some other type of now-obsolete reference?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 January 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
From what I read in those links I think the additional term to distinguish 2 people of the same name [the 'agnomen'] might refer to some sort of distinguishing feature - like 'tall' or 'fair' as well as sometimes referring to that person's father's name. Or may even be an occupation - farrier?