Author Topic: John Dring 1722  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Dring 1722
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 January 17 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Not sure the transcribers know either. Boyds marriage index have John marrying Ann Smith in 1742  :-\

This would make more sense - both son and wife passing away January 1743, soon after childbirth.

Still missing a first marriage though :o

He is a widower when he marries Ann Smith though, so possibly both wives were called Ann, as well as his mother.  ::)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BernardOC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 January 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Not sure the transcribers know either. Boyds marriage index have John marrying Ann Smith in 1742  :-\

This would make more sense - both son and wife passing away January 1743, soon after childbirth.

Still missing a first marriage though :o
[/quote
Hi Claire,
John Dring's marriage to Ann Smith was according to two sources 1743 7 March and assuming that his previous marriage to Mary Ribright is correct in 1741 and their child John Jnr died Jan 1743 qnd Mary a couple of weeks later. Then as Jomot also points out his marriage to Ann Smith was only 44 days after Mary's burial !!!! This has always puzzled me, or maybe Ann was "around" before Mary's death? Who knows? However I fear that John Dring didn't marry Mary Ribright as I first worked out, for I've found on FreeReg that the records refer to Johnathan not John and his Parish of Residence is St . Olave, Southwark (now in London). I can't see how at the age of about 20 he travelled from Chatteris to Southwark, then returned a couple of years later and married Mary Ribright.
But I am unable to find any alternative marriage for John Dring other than to Mary Ribright. So the mystery continues.
I'm researching: O'Connor, Connor, Rea, Smith, Skilton

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 January 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »

Have you considered he may have been a small child at baptism ? Which could give a couple more years for looking and ruling out other marriages.

There is a marriage in Wisbech in 1736 - John Dring to ANNE HAIES, no dates given other than it took place at St Peters. Has this couple been ruled out ?
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BernardOC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 January 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »

Have you considered he may have been a small child at baptism ? Which could give a couple more years for looking and ruling out other marriages.

There is a marriage in Wisbech in 1736 - John Dring to ANNE HAIES, no dates given other than it took place at St Peters. Has this couple been ruled out ?
Hello again Claire.
I have concentrated on Chatteris as that's where the Drings seem to have concentrated more.  But Wisbech is only about 20 kms north of Chatteris, so your input has been added the other info that has come from my post.
 From time to time I travel to Ipswich, so I may contact the Cambridge History Society and also go to the Council Archives, when I get the time to divert.
I'm researching: O'Connor, Connor, Rea, Smith, Skilton