Author Topic: Birth lookup please  (Read 906 times)

Offline joken

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth lookup please
« on: Friday 06 January 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Could someone be kind enough to help locate the birth of Grace Morris born abt 1924 to parents James and Gertrude Alice Morris.  James and Gertrude were married in 1919 Weymouth.  Peter their son was born Oct 1919.

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Birth lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 17 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I think that the birth registered at Christchurch in 1921:
Morrish    Grace    Morrish    Christchurch    2b   1199
is likely to be the one.

The mothers maiden name could well be wrongly transcribed. I assume, from a quick look, that Gertrude's maiden name was Fathers. I don't believe they were married in Weymouth as the RD for the marriage is also Christchurch. The same place where Peter's birth was registered.
HTH
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 17 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Marriage registration:

Jim Morris   MarQ  1919  Christchurch (which was in Hampshire not Dorset)  2B  1447

Bride:  Gertrude A Fathers
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joken

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help. Gertrude's maiden name was  Falliers, but then not sure.  I also cannot find anything on her.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 January 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Where do you get the name 'Falliers' from?    According to her marriage and birth of son Peter J. Morris (which, incidentally was registered in Sept.qtr.1919 so his birthday was not in October), her name was Fathers and indeed Gertrude Alice Fathers birth is registered Dec.qtr.1890 Christchurch, Hampshire and census shows she was the daughter of a William and Mary Kate (nee Newett) and her birthplace was actually Winton, Hampshire.

Did this family end up in New South Wales, Australia?  If so, when did they arrive as I cannot see them listed on UK outgoing passenger lists.

I can find in electoral rolls a Gertrude Alice Morris living with a James Morris at 36 Benaroon Road, Lakemba, Belmore, NSW and later a Peter James Morris too.   I can't, however, find a Grace Morris living with them nor is there a likely birth in the name Grace here in UK around the relevant period.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joken

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 17 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette, many thanks for your help.  I have now done more research and yes it is "Fathers".  I did notice somewhere where it was spelt Falliers - not sure where.  I have all the Oz records - James came out to Aust not sure when, joined the Aust Army, Jan 1916, went to France, wounded 1918, sent to Eng for re-coop in Weymouth, met Gertrude, married her Jan 1919, returned back to Oz on the "Marathon", 10 June 1919 and discharged Feb 1920.  Peter was born 1919 in Eng.  do not know when Gertrude and Peter came out.  In James death notice It stated Peter and Grace (dec).  James died 1974 and Grace 1973.  I can now take it that Grace was born out here (will look for her). She married Gordon Horswood.  But when did Gertrude and Peter come out?