Author Topic: Helen Thomson 1854 Jedburgh  (Read 3978 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Thomson 1854 Jedburgh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Robert was a widower in 1851 but he had a child under a year so looks as if his wife may only recently have died. He married Agnes White on 16th June 1853 in Jedburgh.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 January 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Robert Thomson died 30 January 1859 you will find details of his parents and family on
www.findagrave.com
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 January 17 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Probate record for Agnes Thomson died 15th October 1902 at Upper Brae Villa Jedburgh
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 January 17 22:02 GMT (UK) »
1901 Census address Brae Villa Jedburgh Roxburgh
Agnes Thomson age 74 born Southdean Roxburgh (living on own means )
Ellen Thomson age 46
Janet Wilson ( servant )
Rosie

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 January 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I note that the Findagrave entry gives  a death date of 11 May 1919  for Helen Thomson  (your date of death is different in your opening post).

Findagrave also states she was known as Helen or Ellen.

The Scottish Calendar of Confirmations has this for an Ellen Thomson -6 The Square Melrose, died 11 May 1919, Melrose. Confirmation 27 Aug to  Robert Paterson CA Edinburgh and Elizabeth Blaikie Paterson 9 Craigmillar Park Edinburgh. (Scotlands People gives age of death as 64 where her first name is recorded as Helen).

There are 3 entries in the calendar for Agnes Thomson - the first has her confirmation (she died intestate) 8 April 1902 to Helen Thomson, The Firs Jedburgh. The second says Eik to confirmation 14 April 1909 to Helen Thomson 4 Dundas Street Edinburgh, her daughter. The third has confirmation 20 Jan 1923 ad non executa to Robert Jenkinson Thomson 5 Hope Street, Leith, next of kin.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 January 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Further to the above

The Scotsman 12 May 1919

Death Thomson - At 6 The Square Melrose (the house of Mrs. Davidson ) on 11th inst. Ellen only daughter of the late Dr Thomson,Jedburgh.

A further notice on the 13 May adds - Funeral on Wednesday at Abbey Churchyard, Jedburgh, at 12 20 pm.

The death cert. and will can both be found on Scotland's People and should confirm if this is indeed the Helen Thomson you are looking for.(I note that while the Findagrave date of death differs from the one you have quoted the date of birth is the same).

William

Added : A search on SP for Helens who died in Jedburgh in 1937 produced 4 results which is actually 2 as the refs. indicate.

Helen Jardine - Helen Thomson age 41 Ref 792/1

Helen Telfer - Helen Thomson age 82 Ref 792/4
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 January 17 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Like you William I also noticed the different death date and was wondering if we have two different families here ..Was waiting on nenepops replying did see a tree with a death for Helen Telfer 1937 with the parents down as Robert and Agnes Thomson which is wrong ..need to wait for nenepops reply
Rosie

Offline nenepops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 January 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Wowsers, there are a lot of different information you people have given me.
All I have is this so far:
Helen Thomson was born on September 9, 1854, in Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, the child of Robert and Agnes. She married William Telfer in 1881 in Hobkirk, Roxburghshire. They had eight children in 15 years. She died on January 25, 1937, in Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, at the age of 82.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 January 17 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I have to say, Nenopops, that I agree with Rosie's comment that there may be information for two different families here.

Helen Thomson, the daughter of Robert Thomson and Agnes White clearly died in 1919, a spinster and their only daughter.

Looking at the children's names of William and Helen Telfer I also find it surprising that none of the children were called Robert or Agnes if they were Helen's parents.

I think the only way to be sure is to download the 1881 marriage of William Telfer and Helen Thomson from Scotland's People and her death in 1937. These will hopefully record her parents names and point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

William